New Radix Trail Cam - Unboxing, Set Up & Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by tynimiller, Jun 6, 2017.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cliff and Matt were teasing me about it.....cannot wait. Just need to get some side cash for it saved up.

2. Zimboydevon

Zimboydevon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a few more in the mail today... love em

Attached Files:

tynimiller likes this.
  3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now you have my attention.

When do the details get released?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boonerville likes this.
  4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will be debuting at the end of August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully it will utitlize SD memory cards.

Any word on White Flash?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boonerville likes this.
  6. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet. I think they are working on a cell cam first

tynimiller likes this.
  7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    You can pre-order the Gen-500 and I'm doing so shortly. I have a low-glo coming as well. Firmware update is happening tomorrow or Saturday on mine that is in the field. So far so good. The micro vs standard SD is the only "negative" so far for me...and that is just because I'm not used to it at all yet.

boonerville likes this.
  8. Zimboydevon

Zimboydevon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few more IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1665.JPG IMG_1667.JPG

TKP030 and trickytross like this.
  9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Don't watch the whole video but that little PS-1 delivers some INCREDIBLE video. The audio is excellent but for the video I muted it out just fyi. Fast forward to 1:45 mark to skip intro and sschpeel to see the vids from the cam.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  10. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll post some pics from my Low-glo when I check it this weekend. It's been up for almost 2 months in a spot where I normally get tons of pictures so I'm curious to see how the battery life performed.

trickytross and CoveyMaster like this.
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Battery life is amazing so far for us. I use the Procells (not lithiums) but premium batteries

12. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which model is that one? Or do they both take pics & vid at the same time? I really like that option but a little surprised one image was blurry and deer moving slow. I think I could live with it as the others were clear. Are the daylight moving pics clear?

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well I officially like this little cam for sure. Ordered another one actually even. The 500 has been soaking and won't get checked for a while, but when I do I'll bring an all encompassing post about their 500 model (more normal size came and higher price point too but does "more")

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any big complaint about mine so far but I'm not overly impressed with it either. It's just been kind of meh for me. I pulled cards here at home this morning and it had a lot of super dark pics like it was waiting too long to transition to night mode. Granted the food plot I have it on is in a hole surrounded by timber and most of the pics in question were late evening. Most cameras would have triggered the IR rather than take color pics that are nearly too dark to see deer.

boonerville likes this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

That really is the ONLY arguably negative I have found and that is picture modes are darker...but videos are tremendously brighter. I have mine on photo+video mode and the difference of the same time between the photos vs videos is crazy. Now the darker images are clear, vivid but yes dark. There was firmware update that did lesson it some on mine, if you haven't done that email them and they'll send the link.

boonerville likes this.
  16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that they take full color pics just a tad too late before switching to IR. It is by design; the owner is trying to eliminate the washout transition pics that you see in a lot of cameras. But moving forward I think the IR will kick on a bit earlier (I'm saying in 2018 models and beyond). The battery savings I have this year alone puts them way above the "meh" category for me.

tynimiller likes this.
  17. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    There are some interesting developments happening for the 2018 models...without giving out too many details. There is a difference in the way good photo lenses and good video lenses are made. Most cameras have to try to find a happy medium for cameras that have both photo/video capability. There may or may not be a camera in the works that has double lenses...similar to the Reconyx XR6...that will make both the photos and videos better, which would help with the IR issue/dark photos.

18. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a Radix will for sure be a purchase of mine in the near future!

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Battery savings are nice but I can afford batteries. Using batteries is less annoying to me than getting daylight pics that are too dark to do me any good. I replaced my Radix with a cheapy $65 camera in that enclosed food plot and put the Radix back on a feeder and solved the problem. I'm of two minds about that.
    1. I'm happier with a $65 camera's results under those circumstances (dark food plot) than with a $160 one.
    2. The issue with the Radix was easily solved by placing it under different circumstances.
    The Radix takes slightly better night pics than the cheapy and better (because they are darker) bright daytime pics than the cheapy but the cheapy transitions better in the dark food plot and does well in the darker food plot in the day time. So I used their strengths and weakness' to my advantage. The disconcerting part is that there was any conditions under which my cheapy performed better overall than a $160 class camera. At least in my mind, that justifies saying it's been kind of meh to me. That's not to say that I feel the cheapy is a better camera, more of a way of pointing out the dark pics from the Radix is a note worthy flaw for me.

It needs pointed out that these "cheapy" cameras as I call them have been impressively good in comparison to any camera so it's no disrespect at all to compare good cameras to these "cheapies". They ain't a Radix or a Reconyx or even a StealthCam but I think they compare well to my Covert MP8 blacks. That's a pretty high mark actually.

I'd be impressed easier by a camera that is a tank in durability and only takes very high quality pics in one shot bursts and no video option at all. I don't need a camera to be all things to all people, just one that's dependable and takes dependably good pics most anywhere I need to place it, short of facing the sun. I know companies feel they need to compete with everyone elses features and they do to some extent. Personally I don't need a ton of bells and whistles and would like to see a company offer a camera that's basic but super high quality in it's basic features. I'd be happy to let everyone else (consumers) bragging about their cameras doing several things at once.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    boonerville likes this.
  20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    You make a very good point. I agree that would have huge market appeal to a lot of people. I personally have advocated for a sub $100 Radix with fewer bells and whistles and just solid reliable pics. Maybe it will happen. Radix's current business model is to become the Sitka Gear of trail cameras, so there is some apprehension about building a "cheaper" camera.