New property game plan

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by john Raiche, Jun 13, 2020.

1. john Raiche

john Raiche Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello All,

I got a lease on this approx 70 acre property for the next few years and am trying to create a game plan. I hunted out there a few times last year and saw a couple decent bucks. Nothing within bow range, and nothing after October 15th. We had nothing out there last year for food plots and only have about an acre planned this year. One half acre of Brassica's going in in August and corn planted this week, again about a half acre. Lots summer food and cover and plenty of does but I am looking for Mr Big come October/November. I am undoubtedly a novice when it comes to understanding deer movements and needs but it seems as if I get a lot of perimeter bedding and maybe this property falls victim to the "whitetail shift" come October. As you can see in the overview maps, I have a serious issue with access on this property. I really can only access from the N side. This property is sandwiched between roads and a railroad on the S boarder. What do you all think? Please ask questions! I am trying to learn. Thanks for reading.

Northern Minnesota
    Heavy clay soil
    Flat property
    Used to be a Norwood Pine plantation

Red pen lines are roads
    black pen line is railroad
    blue stands are bowhunting
    red stands are rifle
    purple are both
    yellow dotted lines are access

Just me hunting out there during bow season and one buddy during rifle

Hunting property overview snip.PNG Hunting property snip 6-13-2020.PNG

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is there water on the place?, Have you scouted for old rub lines and bedding? Are there fall mast trees. As in acorn,beech,persimmon,apple,hedge apples??? Areas of succession growth? Prevailing winds in fall. Cam scouting done yet?
    Then what is planted in those neighboring fields?

3. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta get boots on the ground. It’s the only way. You could always give Jeff Sturgis a call. Maybe put some cameras up a bit off of intersecting trails at the stand locations you like. I’m old fashion and thoroughly scout an area in late winter. OnX has been great. Good luck looks like a great journey ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk