New Poster, Old Hunter.......

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Locomoconomo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Locomoconomo

Locomoconomo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello from Alabama.

Just getting back into bow hunting after a decade of absence. Been hunting since I was 11 back in the late 70's and killed my first deer with a Bear Whitetail bow in 86 at our family cabin in West Virginia. I can see that alot has changed from the old Whitetail days, but it's still stick and string. With a big family and a bad economy I certainly don't see myself buying a thousand dollar bow shooting $200.00 a dozen arrows. If you've got that kind of discretionary income, God Bless you. My Father, who was an avid bowhunter for years, recently had to hang up his compound and buy a crossbow due to the arthritis in his shoulders. He gave me his bow, a Browning Mirage Myst bought sometime in the late 90's. I just kind of stepped into his setup to see how well it shoots. I had a local shop check the bow out and make sure it's safe to shoot. After installing a new string and installing the peep and some nock points I took it out and shot it a few times. He had a couple of the wrist wrap jaw releases and one handheld type. I really like the handheld type better than the wrist type. I've got a half dozen carbon arrows, Cheetah brand stenciled on them. They all need new fletching and the inserts reglued. I put a trophy ridge 3 pin sight on it and got it to hit pretty much where I want it. I've currently got a rest that has several long thin metal fingers that hold the shaft up and they are attached to a type of rocking mechanism that I assume is supposed to give some kind of vane clearance. I need to make the bow mine and to do that I'm sure I'm going to change the arrow rest. Please no flame jobs, but I really like the whisker biscuit. I've read until my eyes are sore about all the available rests and it really is a perfect example of the K.I.S.S. principle. I don't like the quiver on the bow, some old Browning thing, so I think I 'll go back with the Kwikee Kwivers I used back in the Whitetail days.

I don't know enough about the finer aspects of the sport to even know what kinds of questions to ask, but I do have a few that I hope to get answered if you bow tuning experts out there have a few moments.

1. The bow is set to 60lbs, how do I know what CARBON arrows are ideal? Outside of drawlength, what are the considerations I need to focus on relating to shaft selection.

2. What is the best way to attach inserts and nocks to carbon arrows?

3. Are those "Boil On" type shrink wrapped fletching kits worthwhile/reliable? I notice Blazer Vanes in 2" lengths seem quite popular so I've been looking at a six pack to try to refletch my existing carbons.

4. New to mechanical release aids, what are the benefits to using the string loops and what would determine if I could use one in my setup?

5. Does anybody have a low cost alternative to those $60-$100 foam blocks that do so well at stopping the arrows. I really love how easy it is to pull them out, but I've never shot a broadheld into one yet.

6. Does anybody have one too many Hoyt or Mathews bows of recent vintage taking up valuable space in thier gear closet and need to make some room?:tu:

Thanks for your time,

Loco