New or Used Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wolveswithguns, Nov 26, 2018.

1. wolveswithguns

wolveswithguns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I am brand new to the sport of bowhunting, but I have been rifle hunting for quite a few years now. I am currently deciding between two bows and was looking for some guidance as to which one to buy. The first is a brand new Bear Cruzer g2 with sight and rest a local bow shop for $399 plus arrows and a release. The second is a used Mathews Outback available on Craigslist that come with a whiskerbiscuit, a sight, arrows, a release, and hard case for $275. I have heard good things about both of these bows, just not sure which I should go with any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about either of these bows.
    My advice would be to make 100% sure that these bows will fit you.
    It might be better to buy from the shop to begin developing a relationship with them. Especially when you're new, the staff at the shop can be very helpful.

3. wolveswithguns

wolveswithguns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the reply, how should I go about making sure they fit me? Would it be just making sure it feels good in the hand, or what other things should I be looking for?

4. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check your pro shop, maybe they take trade in's? A used bow would offer the best value, but with you being new to archery the help of a pro shop will prove invaluable unless you have a very knowledgeable friend to help you get set up.

dprsdhunter likes this.
  5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Compound bows have a specific draw length so that there is let off when you come to full draw. If the draw length is too long or too short for you it will make it hard for you to find a comfortable anchor spot and your accuracy will suffer. The Bear bow might have cams that can be adjusted without replacing the cam or changing a module but the Mathews bow would likely need a cam swapped out to make the draw length correct.

I would go to a dedicated bow shop first and figure out your draw length and shoot some bows. If they dont have anything you like at your price point you will at least know what your draw length is which will help you while shopping for a new bow.

Bows also come with different weight limbs. It is common to see 50-60lb and 60 -70lb limb bows so that is something else you will have to consider.

Mathews has a sister company called Mission and they make some really nice bows that are highly adjustable, they might be a good first bow for you as you figure things out.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    w33kender and buttonbuckmaster like this.
  6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, buying a new bow online on your own or a used bow from Craigslist as a newbie could be a huge mistake. You need a pro to make sure the bow is right for you, as Blarney22 said. Buying a bow online or used on CL is for old pros who have a bow press and can do their own work, etc.

For years I putzed around with an old bow a nice guy gifted me, but it the DL was too long for me and my shots were inconsistent. I never hunted with it because there's no such thing as an ethical shot with an ill-fitting bow. Practice is pointless; you cannot compensate for a DL that doesn't fit.

7. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to be buying a bow off of craigslist, try and shoot it before you buy it. Go to your local pro shop and have them check your draw length. Some bows fit differently than others. I bought a Mathews Halon off of craigslist from a former BHOD staffer but wasn't a rookie and I did my research on the bow, and double checked my draw length at the pro shop on different bows.

8. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would go to a real pro shop. He will measure you for draw and let you shoot a few bows. Shot my buddies mission,and really enjoyed it. There's more of entry level bows out there.

10. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of the above. develop a relationship with a Pro Shop and let them assist you. Do not let them sell you to quickly. shoot different bows and see what feels the best. take your time and make a sound decision.

11. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm agree with the above, get to a shop and have them assist you. There are plenty of entry level bows out there that will kill deer as well as the most expensive ones, the important part is that it fits you correctly. I highly caution you against buying anything from Craigslist, far too much can go wrong there.