New mineral station question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sticknstringarchery, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have one mineral station up and running now and it is doing really well. I have a mineral lick in it and its good to go. I just started another one in an area that I haven't hunted yet. I have both of them placed about 20 feet off a deer trail. The first one I started by applying Deer Cane and it had deer activity in one day. I started a new one only using a mineral lick with vanilla extract poured over the top and sprinkled around the area. I put it out two days and went in today to check it. I couldn't tell if there has been any activity or not. I do not own a trail cam yet. I know I shouldn't go out and check them often but, I do have paths cut so that I touch nothing on my way in and out.

What is the longest it has taken any of you guys to see activity on a mineral station?
    What is the average time it takes?

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a pretty good deer population around here so my new mineral sites got hit within hours of when I made them. At the most 1 day for them to find it.

Sounds like you are making salt licks and not mineral sites :poke: :)

3. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends.... this time of year is tough for just guessing and throwing a new site out... I would say usually a day or two if deer are not everywhere.... Wait til crop is up and put one over a bean field edge and your camera will blow up!

4. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    start using monster raxx, those guys will get you set up if you want to grow big bucks!

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am usinng it more as a way to monitor the deer and activity coming up to the season. I am not trying to grow big bucks yet. I am only in my second season and trying to get to know my herd a little better and the size of that herd. Yes they are more of a salt lick right now. I haven't been able to get out to anywhere to get minerals or at least something like Deer Cain which is what I started the first one with and I feel sure there is still some in the first one. That may be what I need to go back to and have the licks as a bonus in the plot.

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is still mostly a salt product. To get a mineral site it should definetly have less than 30% salt. When you see a product say Trace Minerals you really should take a look at what is actually in there. Most of those are well over 90% salt and not doing what you would want them to do. Our minerals are definetly for more than just growing big bucks. I believe in giving does and fawns the right balance of minerals is just as important to having bigger and healthier deer. Good luck this season, looking forward to reading about it.