New Land Purchase

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Heckler, Jul 8, 2015.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cant wait to see whats on the cams....

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well my game plan has derailed a bit. Didn't own the property a week and we had a bad storm blow through with 70+MPH straight line winds and 4.5" of rain all in about 30 min..... Needless to say there are trees down everywhere and I can't get in the row crop fields as it is a mud hole. Additionally I burnt my old chainsaw up cleaning up. I guess its time for a new one. :D Going to go look at Stihls tomorrow. I have my eye on a new Farm Boss.

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks...

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HAHAHAH, Yeh, At least I don't have to do any hinge cutting this year. Mother nature took care of that for me. :p lol!

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can get some serious work done with that farm boss for sure!

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are a fine saw, I'd strongly recommend buying the premixed gas for it though, it has no ethanol in it...pump gas ruined both of my farm bosses.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's some expensive stuff. I could see filling the tank with it for storage but using that all day long would eat into the wallet. We have a gas company in town that offers ethanol free premium gas. I'll buy it and mix it by the gallon with Stihl's HP Ultra 2 cycle oil.

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure you know what you are getting at the pump. Not all 91 is ethanol free, if it is it will have a sticker. I grew up in the gas station business and it definitely makes difference on small gas engines. If you get ethanol free gas from the pump it will be fine in your saw for storage, but we always recommend that if you are going to store your engine for a long time (most of a year) to run it out of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha! We have Capitol City Oil Co here in town. From their website.

"Alcohol-free Premium Unleaded – 91 Octane Alcohol-free fuel is available at 3 cardlocks in Topeka: 340 NE Hwy 24, 911 SE Adams, 4201 SW Burlingame; and one cardlock location in Lawrence: 2911 SE Haskell."

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I buy it by the case of 6 (1.5 gallons) for about $34. It's not that expensive considering it goes a long ways and the price of ruining a pair of good saws. I used to think the same thing until my saws went to hell at the same time and it was literally cheaper to buy new saws than to repair the old ones.I used to buy pump gas, mix up a couple gallons and have half of it on hand for a year anyway...$30-$50 per year isn't very expensive to me for the assurance that I'm not getting some ethanol by accident. But that's just me.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We run 91-92 octane in all of our STIHL toys. Both of which are Ethanol free. We then run AMSOIL 2 stroke at 100-1. They all run like champs!!!!

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That does seem more reasonable now that you put it that way. I do like the cans. Less likely to spill rolling around in the back of the truck. lol!

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We feel your pain. We bought 53 acres back in December. Well, in July, Mother Nature blessed us with a Tornado. Thank God that no one was hurt and none of our out buildings or house were damaged. The trees took a pretty good beating all along our NE corner which covers one of our largest foodplots. I took the tractor and loader down to move the ones out of the plot that I could. One of them looks like it is going to be a good place for a ground blind this season. We will try to cut them all up after Jan. 15th.

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I never realized how much of a convenience the cans would be when I changed over while squalling my head of about having to change to the expensive cans. I've been happy about changing ever since. The quart cans stay sealed until I need them so no stabil to deal with, no bad gas, no toting around a 2 gal can, they are easy to pour and easy to store. I'd be happy if they were cheaper but they are what they are and I'd hate to go back to dealing with the mixing ratios and crap like that.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my older age (well duh). :lol:

On another note, don't worry about the storm damage, it'll end up benefiting your habitat in the long run.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a proud owner of a new Farm Boss. I went with the 18" bar. The motomix was $48??? I guess that is still worth it being you get an extra 1 year warranty. I tried to haggle with them but didn't make any headway. When I figured out I wasn't getting anywhere with them on the chainsaw I tried to get them to sell me a 350 lb. Boss Buck at a discounted rate. Apparently they don't have any margin in those either... :( Never hurts to try I suppose....

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's Stihl's brand of pre-mix so it's higher...I usually buy Trufuel at a local farm and ranch store or Walmart and it seems to work fine.

Congratulations on the saw, mine had an 18" bar and one had a 20" bar. They were the most reliable saws I'd ever owned right up until the cylinders both scored the same day from bad gas. I had to have a saw and the local stihl dealer was closed so I bought a cheapy Poulan at the farm store. It worked well enough I just kept it and never replaced the Stihls (yet). The poulan is a hell of a long ways from matching them but it gets along okay.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alcohol and ethanol aren't the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did a bunch of work over the weekend. I cut two trails in to the back of the property and set up a boss buck feeder. Getting a lot of pics of does but not much in the way of bucks yet as I have been trying to be least intrusive. To be honest I have been somewhat discouraged so far but can see the light once again! I found a dead head in the creek just below my pond at the back of the property and its a giant!!! I wish I would have found him before he was chewed up!

Here it is after I cleaned it up.

[​IMG]

19. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap!

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's truly an amazing rack. I can slide it a round my chest no problem. Notice my arms are bent and the rack is up against me. I am not pushing it toward the camera to make it look huge. :)