Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

New Kid in the Woods

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by bradcongo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bradcongo

bradcongo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to introduce myself, and ask a couple of questions. I'm new to the sport of hunting, and also new to shooting bows. I'm very experienced with guns (I used to be a Nuclear Power Plant Security Officer), but bows are new to me. I never had the privilege of having a father or grandfather (or even uncle) to take me out to the woods and taught me how to hunt. I am actually the first one to be interested in hunting in my family. But I love deer meat, and I'd like to provide some food for my family. I just went to Cabela's to get fitted for a bow, and I've done a lot of research on the internet to help me get started. I just shot a Bear Legion compound bow, and I LOVED it. So I bought one and it is on its way. What are some basics that I should know to help me get started? I know everyone has their own opinions and their own ways of doing things. But I'd like some basic advice on what else I'll need before I venture out in the woods. I literally know NOTHING, and as I said, I have no one to ask or shadow. I appreciate any help you veterans can give! Thanks!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Brad!

As a beginner, reading and walking in the woods are your friends. If possible, try and find a friend that hunts, even if you have to hang out at a local proshop to do so.

Be sure to ask questions. Be as specific as you can. There are a ton of helpful people here.

Welcome to the addiction :bow:

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. Lots of great info here if you start going through some threads.

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ask a lot of questions, no question is a dumb question. Practice, practice and practice. Have fun and find some new friends that hunt. Good Luck, Grommel.