NEW: Iron Will WIDE Single Bevel Broadhead Test

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhuntr64, May 16, 2023.

1. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This head was just released today...check out my test.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    appears to be one heck of a head ..

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used the vented wide this past week on a bear and it performed flawless

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent test. One suggestion though for the accuracy test: I realize with broadheads, you can't aim dead center of target every time without quickly destroying the target. Maybe throw a small orange target sticker, like the size of a quarter, on there so the camera has a point of reference to where you are aiming. It would make it a little easier to visualize the accuracy of the broadhead.

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    He’s aiming at the fletching of the field point arrow he shot first.

cantexian likes this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get that with the follow up shot, I was thinking more about the initial shot with the field point. But, I guess it doesn't matter too much. Clearly, his bow is well tuned.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    These things shoot really exceptional for their size. The only other head I can think of off hand that shoots as well and has that kind of surface are 100 grain solids with 3/4 bleeders. If you keeping shots under 50 yards I can’t see not using the wides except for the largest game. I even think I am going to keep both wides and standards in my quiver on elk and moose hunts depending on the cover and likely hood of closer/longer shots

8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    These broadheads look like they would be fantastic. I came close to buying some of the standards a year or so ago, but the price is pretty high.

I wouldn’t even mind that if I only hunted Arkansas and Kentucky where there is only dirt on the other side of the animal, but here in the Ozarks it’s rock and almost every time a shot is taken the head is a “one and done” regardless of which one it is. Well, unless I’m lucky (or unlucky) enough to not get a full pass through.

I know these heads are tough as nails, but the rocks and boulders here are a lot harder and more unforgiving than a cinder block.

Even after a pass through a glancing blow on one of these boulders would not likely bend it and render it useless.

I’d like to shoot them but I’ll have to stick to a less expensive option here in the rocky hills.

I don’t know how you would go about it but it would be interesting to see how the more durable heads like this fare in a glancing blow on the cinder block.

9. ChristopherReed

ChristopherReed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy neighbor, I hunt the Ozarks as well.

I used Iron Will 200g SB with their Snyder Core system last season and can share a little experience.

I have put their titanium Snyder core through the ringer with direct hits on rock, posts, buried in the ground, and dug out of trees, and the only damage that has been inflicted is one bent field-point caused by a glancing blow on a boulder. Learning to shoot 3D and gauge range is a challenge.

[​IMG]

Regarding the broadheads durability; the only thing i have hit with them is foam and deer so I can’t really confirm their durability aside from digging arrows out that penetrated 20” into the ground after a pass through, with no real idea what they hit down there (probably rocks given the “dirt” composition in these parts), and being able to shave hair following a light stropping.

I might not be able to attest to how an IW broadhead would handle a glancing blow on a big rock but, I’m pretty confident the components (at least the titanium) would survive but they would no longer be serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief and trial153 like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    What area of the Ozarks do you hunt? I hunt in the Van Buren, MO area.

11. ChristopherReed

ChristopherReed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt the Arkansas side, mainly the Boston mountains area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. That’s beautiful country.

You’re quite a ways over there from where I’m at. My club has a cabin in Prarie County, AR but it’s in the flat White River valley. No hills or rocks there.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This head more than any have made me consider coming off my now massive collection of Grizzlystik 200gr Samurai heads.