New hunting area: Food plot ideas

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by buckhunter1415, Mar 1, 2012.

1. buckhunter1415

buckhunter1415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This area is on the same property i've been hunting just in the thicker area of it, I have to put alot of lime and fertilizer out to just get a pretty good plot. There are alot of pines in the area and it has somewhat of a sandy soil. 2 Years ago I planted Evolved Habitats Winter Pz's and Oats and the deer loved 'em and so did the local turkeys. I want to plant a perenial so i dont have to do anything for a couple years, ANY Suggestions?
    ( I have access to a diesel kubota with a tiller attachment and a pull behind ATV disk)

DSCF2206.jpg DSCF2207.jpg DSCF2210.jpg DSCF2211.jpg DSCF2212.jpg DSCF2208.jpg DSCF2209.jpg

2. OKY

OKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    White clover and turnips. I've had great luck with both.

3. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well clover would be a good idea. One thing to note is that generally, annuals will be more attractive and longer into the season. Not only that but living in michigan, your winters are tough and cold. I have clover on my farm and it begins to turn yellow after the first couple hard frosts. And deer dont bother to get at it in the winter. So, that being said Id say an annual would be better in your situation, oats, turnips, brassicas are all good, plus when you till the ground with the remaining plants, it will add rich nutrients for your sandy soil. Good luck!

4. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The pine needles dropping are going to make your soil very acidic so you are going to have to add tons of lime there and sandy soils dont hold " plant available water" for very long because of the large pores between soil particles. Personally,I would just do a small clear cut in that area and let the natural forage come up and hunt over that. But, if you still wanna go with the "food plot" method i would go with an annual because annual plants go for all or nothing so to speak. For perennials i would suggest a mix of white and red clovers.

5. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    thanks you guys you really have helped me with all your knowledge and information, thanks again. I will probably try white clover and oats.

6. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at a new product whitetail institute has this year. I will be planting it myself. It is actually made for sandy soils, and is a perrenial...It's called EDGE. i talked with a couple of the guys at WI and this stuff sounds like its going to be awesome! it has many diifferent varieties of forage that matures at different times so the plot is effective all year, and is made for soils that dont hold moisture very well....im planting mine in a 1/2 acre plot i cleared out in the middle of a timbered thicket.

7. td8541

td8541 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have lots of pines the soil will be acidic. What is your pH level? You may need more lime. You should test every year. IMHO, a good clover is tough to beat as a perannual. I replant every three years. I also top dress with a frost seed most years and fertilize annually. Another key for us is brassica, but we do that annually.

8. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This might be personal but were in michigan do you hunt?

But a good plot is always turnips. Maybe a mix of turnibs and clover thats what I use. Tryed oats and the deer hardly hit em.

9. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt near newaygo north of grand rapids. not personal at all.

10. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    Last time i tested the soil it was with an old pill capsule test thing that you add to the soil water mixture and i think it said between 5.6 - 6.0. i didnt really trust the system.

11. td8541

td8541 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I broke down and bought a good meter. I plant 25-30 acres a year and soil tests were getting out of hand. It would be worth getting a test down. If you pH isn't optimal, you soil will not utilize the fertilizer. Therefore waste time and money. Lime is cheap, fertilizer is not! Can't wait to see how much it is this year. Each seed has specific range. Try to get a close to it and you be happy with your results. 6.0 isn't bad but the pH scale is on the power of ten or x10. I assure you, the closer to neutral or specific scale, the better your plot will be.

12. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the helpful advice, greatly appreciated:rock:

13. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Putting in a 1 acre Edge planting this spring. WIll keep you posted.

14. Chris_hood1

Chris_hood1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    White clover and alfalfa. Deer love turnips but it gives them diarrhea if they eat to much so i would just do clover and alfalfa

15. buckhunter1415

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, will take in consideration

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, perennials are WAY more work.

17. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! I'll post pics of mine as well.