New hunter - couple of questions

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jodocy, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Jodocy

Jodocy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This fall will be my first year bowhunting - I've hunted with guns all my life (I'm 35 - big into upland birds with my dog and have always hunted deer rifle season) but never bow. Last winter during Covid I bought my brothers like-new compound bow (Xpedition archery Xception @ 60lb), got it to fit me, and got super addicted to the joys of target shooting it off my deck anywhere from 20-40 yards.

I'm trying to be a "mobile" hunter where I can get into almost any tree.

I have a setup where I'm comfortable getting in the tree safely (I use a lineman's belt and rock climbing harness, with beast sticks to climb), hanging the stand, transition into the stand, setting up my lifeline etc. I opted for a stand instead of a saddle setup this year.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what's the best way for me to hang my bow while I'm sitting in the tree. I don't really want to keep it on my lap. I'd like to not have anything that screws into the tree either because i don't want to damage it.

So to the millions of hunters who know a hell of a lot more than I do: what's your favorite way of doing it and why?

Thanks!

Andrew

2. westdesign03

westdesign03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It’s not the most elegant out there these days but I always keep coming back to this one:

Bow Hanger - ON Your Tree Faster Than Your Old Screw-in - The ONLY Bow Hanger Legal to USE ON All State and Federal Lands - NO More Screw in Hook ! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VSXX4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B26HJQB9V7GF04YNZN3X

I don’t want to screw things into the tree either for the same reason. But this one lets me hold the bow on either side of the tree and my bow/quiver is never bumping the tree (I have a permanent mount quiver on my bow). I use an after market buckle strap like what you use on climbing sticks but it’s smaller. These to be exact:

Boaton Tree Stand Stabilizer Straps, Tree Stand Accessories, Hunting Utility Strap for Holding Climbing Tree Stand and Backpack, Hanging Trail Cameras and Holding Gear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081HG6SVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4ZT21HPPJ6838ZMM57G2

I can pull it tight then kind of slide it down to cam it tight and it’s solid like a little tree stand for your bow kind of thing. Not the most fun to set up and take down but it works. Haven’t found anything else I like better yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak towards a non screw in bow hanger but welcome to the site

4. Jodocy

Jodocy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that will work perfectly.
    Speaking of quiver that is my next thing - to get a permanent quiver attached to my bow. Any suggestions on quivers?

5. westdesign03

westdesign03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! This is similar to the one I use:

Trophy Ridge Hex Light 2 Piece 5 Arrow Quiver, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1HMSDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7HWN5HGPCFERH3TVPECH

Mines a slightly different design that I don’t think they sell anymore. But it’s the same mounting system as mine. It works really well and is solid as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk