New Hunter/Bowhunter (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Pham, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Pham

Pham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, new here. I recently found out about the forum through the YouTube channel.

I've only recently got into the hobby. Never hunted anything before (do worms in the playground count?) and just got my Vertix decked out about two weeks ago.

Fast Eddie with Qad drop away rest.

I took my Hunter Ed course already as well as purchased the license and habitat stamp.

Hopefully I'll be able to go on my first hunt ever this Fall. It seems like a tall order.

Ive never butchered a deer or field dress. Only through many YouTube videos do I have an idea on how to do it. Don't know anyone who's got the same interest in archery or hunting.

Anyone from Illinois area? I live in the Chicago suburbs.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not around there but congrats on joining the passion and welcome to the forum. The best way to learn is mistakes. To avoid costly mistakes ask lots of questions. Make sure you know your weapon and it's second nature to fire it because with your first deer you will see targets are different. Do you have land or are you going public? Do you have all accoutrements for season ready. What kind of land you are Hunting is more important than how you hunt.

3. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    best of luck getting into it!

4. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pham, congrats on getting into bowhunting. Fix is right, there will be a lot of ups and downs, and practice, practice, practice.

I commit to 5 arrows a day, close range and do my normal routine one day a week and on the weekends. A routine may be 30 good arrows. Have fun doing it, do not get caught up in Vegas preparation. Put those cheap yard sale colored dots on your target at random, shoot for normal target acquisition and final arrow in a random sticker. They are small and they help with concentration.

I had not bow hunted for several years, so here is a great tip for hunt prep. Watch a lot of hunting videos. You will see good shots, bad shots, good hunter, bad hunters, but what a lot of them do is give you a normal visual and a slow-motion visual. Practice will help with muscle memory, and tape watching with help with the mental. Remember when that buck or doe walks out, the shakes are real and normal, and because bowhunting is Real FUN!