New food plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by sletten25, May 14, 2019.

1. sletten25

sletten25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what are you guys using to kill weeds for a new plot? It will be my first food plot I put in so any advice will help. Thanks

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 41% glyphosate weed/vegetation killer. Usually spray it once, then check it a couple weeks later to see if you need to hit it again.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep the above I use Ground Works from tractor supply. Now this said, here is the thing you spray and wait 2weeks then you have some decisions to make. What are you planning to plant and are you in need of lime. Lets start with the lime. Lime is a product that HAS To be a particle to particle incorporation to do it's job. In other words mixed well with the soil. Bring in the seed, this is a two part thing with a plant that will send it's roots deep you need to have the nuetralizing benefits of said lime where the root zone is. Do you plan on shallow rooted small seed.
    When looking at the above this is what you'll need to do, till well and deep before the second spraying. The reason, existing weed seed bank. The deeper you till the more bank you expose, thus the more weeds. This is actually good because your dealing with them now not later. Your getting the main liming where it needs to be. You then spray in a couple of weeks after all those seeds have a time to germinate so you can kill them. After all this avoid deep tilling again , plant deep rooted crops to keep your soil friable by maintaining organic material that will aerate and break down in time. Now if you do all this you could, down the road allow the plot to die down and spray weeds then just spread seed over the top with out any tilling and roll the area before a good rain and have a good growth. BUT you NEED to do a good job with the initial ground work.

4. sletten25

sletten25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I just did a soil test tonight from antler king and it came back it’s between 6.0 and 6.5..what would you guys recommend planting with them numbers? It’s in kind of a shady spot also?

5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have easy access to equipment I would suggest a couple of rounds of buckwheat. Easy to grow, mines nutrients and tills in nicely. It will also give you time to figure out what you like to do for fall.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The above is great advice. Things to consider, buckwheat mines phosphorous big time.deer antlers are made up of phosphorus and calcium. Deer love buckwheat . New plots have weed seed banks buckwheat acts as a weed suppressant. It loosens the soil with deep Roots

Okiebob likes this.