New bucks showing up

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Okiebob, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I pulled cards last week after a good long soak, 5k pictures to sort through, and have noticed about 6 or 7 new bucks that were on the farm last season but have not been there up until last week this year. Not to go all Charles Alschiem on y'all but I'm wondering if this last moon cycle has something to do with that or if it's just the time of year that they start getting out and about to roam. The temps, as most all of know, where horrible these last two weeks with high humidity, maybe they're looking for cooler bedding area's? What are y'alls thoughts on movement this time of year?

2. The deer ive been watching have been hitting evey 4/5 days. To me that is an odd cycle.
    Some smaller deer hitting more often, but not even does hitting every day. Our weathers been off, i havent put much effort into researching the days info yet when they are visiting,

Id say right now its about the preasure and the temps

Okiebob likes this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’d say changing food sources and looking for better water sources.

Okiebob likes this.
  4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sources. There. I just had to say it again

Okiebob likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 35+ years of watching deer, here's my thoughts.
    I believe older bucks tend to go into more open areas to help keep bugs at Bay.
    Also, the month of May,June and until about mid July, bucks here keep very hidden. Bout mid July every year, the bucks pop out of the woodwork.
    He'll, I just about hit 2 decent bucks half hour ago. Came outta the ditch.

Okiebob likes this.
  6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob, I have a theory on this. Up until 2 years ago it was legal for me to feed and put out minerals for the deer in my area. I did this for 8 years. I started noticing that around the 3rd week of July I would get pictures of a lot more bucks than were normally in my area. Most of the new comers were big, mature bucks. For 3 to 5 days I would get a lot of pics of mature bucks and a lot of them were in daylight.

My thought is that after young deer are dispersed and the new crop of fawns are born, the bucks seem to go around the area and see where the other deer have settled for the year.

Note: Some of the bucks I get on camera this time of year I never see again.

MUDSHARK and Okiebob like this.