New bow draw weight question

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Justin Lahey, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Justin Lahey

Justin Lahey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I'm sure this is a really stupid question but it's something that I'm a bit confused with. I'm looking at buying my first bow and understand that to learn good form you start with a lighter draw weight. My question is when buying your first bow (I'm looking at the PSE EVO NXT 31) they come with 50, 60, 65, 70, lbs draw weights. Am I better off buying the 70lbs bow and decrease the draw weight so I can work my way back to 70lbs or do I buy the 50lbs bow and increase the weight as I improve? Is there a difference? Thanks and sorry in advance if this was In another thread, I did a quick search and couldn't find this specific question. Cheers.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would depend on you. Do you expect to increase your DW through strength training? If that's the case then you can go 70 and turn down. But be true to yourself. If you won't train then get a bow that you can pull back SLOWLY. Don't get wrapped up in draw weight. Shot placement is more important.

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also depends on your strength and fitness going in to buy a bow.