New-B in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by chubber, Jan 25, 2014.

1. chubber

chubber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    My name is John Martel but everybody calls me "Chubber" cause I was a fat kid growing up. My wife Isis and I own Beaver Lake Lodge in Northwest Arkansas. My hunting season got cut short (normally ends FEB 28) because the progressive insurance guy shot a rage mechanical down the side of my left index finger while I was loading the crossbow for him. I know.. I know. Trust me, I've been in the military since 1997 and instructed on all types of small arms. But I didn't realize he had released the safety and when I went to put the bolt in.. well the rest is history. Anyway, I've been crossbow hunting for two years. So far I've taken 3 does and no bucks. I use a Horton Brotherhood with 20" Pile-Drivers and (100 grain?) crossbow X rage mechanicals. I also have an old Pearson Rogue with no mods I target shoot with, a Barnett recurve, and a hand made recurve. So far I only hunt with the Horton.

I joined the site to learn more about bowhunting and to network with guides and hunters. Our lodge mostly does summer business and is dead in the winter. But we are right next to Hobbs state park, which offers permit free bowhunting until Feb 28 on about 12,000 acres. There's no reason this place should be empty in the winter. I look forward to getting to know some of the other members here and hopefully learning somethings that will help me drop a decent buck one of these days. Thanks! -Chubber

Beaver Lake Lodge - Fishing, Golfing, Fun and More!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site John!

3. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!