New arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Ryan Slingerland

Ryan Slingerland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the bloodlines and have very good success with them. no complaints here

2. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot the bowfire arrows and like them. easy to find in the woods hit like a mac truck.

3. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know how you like them!

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are definitely faster. Groups at 30 yards were about 6 inches higher than the FMJ, which will allow me to use my top pin out to 30 yards. I never shot any further because it was my first time shooting since November and I was very rusty and I had shoulder fatigue after a few rounds. I felt that they were as accurate as I could shoot them. Meaning that I was a little rusty.

5. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Easton FMJ's, great arrow and priced right.
    i shoot 60lbs(Bear Motive 6) and 28.5 draw and I'm pushing these out at 301fps, 79lbs K.E.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have hard time believing that your bow can be shooting 301 fps with that setup..this link may help you understand..

Determining The REAL Speed (FPS) Of a Compound Bow

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I shot them last year. Killed 5 with them. Great arrows and hit hard.

Sent from my SM-S820L

8. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, I underestimated, it calculates to 303.1FPS but I took off a couple FPS for +/-
    Bow/Arrow Speed Calculator (Estimate from IBO/ATA)

9. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your adding a 100 grain head with your arrow. There's no way your getting 303 fps with that bow with a 28.5 draw and pulling back 60 pounds. I'm shooting fmj with that same setup but I have a 29 inch draw and I'm pulling back 65 pounds and I'm shooting a nitrum turbo..and my arrows are not even close to 300 fps.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

10. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1459090397.341811.jpg so I ended up taking your guys advice and testing out Bowfire, fmj and axis. The Bowfire (white arrow) shot the best in my opinion and penetrated the most. The fmj (arrow toward the right of the target) was faster but seemed to penetrate less, and the axis(arrow lowest on the target).. Just didn't like it. Very fast arrow but just wasn't hitting hard and dropped a lot. I think I'll be purchasing more bowfires soon.thanks for all the help!

11. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's surprising that the bowfire out penetrated the axis.

12. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot all 3 of them 20 times exactly and the Bowfire got better penetration every single time.. Nothing against the axis it's a good arrow but I'll be buying bow fires this season haha

13. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the 50-60 buck a dozen bass pro arrows since 2007 and they work great. they group nice out to 50 yards. Am sure the higher priced arrows are worth every penny but thus far see no need to step up. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend those lower priced arrows.

14. Flyitall

Flyitall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to at least consider some of the new arrows from Gold Tip. I know they are very pricey, about $15 each(ouch!) but they are also very tough. I am shooting the kinetic pierce platinum in a 250 spine. This arrow is only .245 OD and has a sidewall thickness of .039!! This thick sidewall and the gold tip process is what makes it tough. I don't take a lot of hunting shots so these arrows last me a long time. Some of the posts above have mentioned some arrows are "hard hitting". I respectfully submit that what makes an arrow "hard hitting" is simply the weight.

15. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot Gold Tip Pro Hunters for years and love them. Tough arrows and very accurate high consistent quality.

16. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Carbon Injections here.
    Best thing is to shoot them and test them for yourself.

17. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the advice. if at some point I go the reduced diameter arrow route I'll certainly check them out. In the meantime I've got a pretty good supply of those old carbon fury arrows and they last forever. Besides, the money I might use for new arrows is better spent on something nice for my Mrs because she's a great lady and supportive of my hunting. :)

18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently read an article about penetration. And how it can differ from target to animal. Just because you're penetrating in the target better with the Bowfire doesn't mean that it will out penetrate on a live target. Out of curiosity how did your OD, GPI, FOC, FPS, KE, Total weight, and Spine differ from arrow to arrow. That will determine more your penetration on a live target better. If I can find that article I'll post a link.

19. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  20. cawwwrin

cawwwrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot easton FMJ's but one thing that is just as important as the arrows quality is making sure it's right for your bow. I've tried almost every spine and about 8 completey different arrows and they obviously all shot way different. I started at a VERY low draw weight and now I'm at 60 pounds, it seems like the FMJ 340's are perfect for my bow. Weight is important as well.

This kind of reminds me of the broadhead discussion because everyone is going to have a different preference. Some are made better than others, some aren't. A good, quality arrow that fits your bow with good shot placement is key.