Never used mechanical.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SRSmith, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SRSmith

SRSmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always used fixed blade blackheads but I'm looking at the Rage Hypodermic. Pros or cons? I shoot 60lbs @ 248fps with 60ft/lbs of energy. I want to be sure they open on impact. Thanks

2. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pros:
    - fly like field points
    - wide cutting diameter
    - offers a increased penetrator for lower draw weights
    - opens as it's going into the animal instead of after initial penetration

Cons:
    - uses shock colors
    - multi piece construction

I have shot the hyperdermics and have never had issues. Some people hate them due to "not opening" but I think on a good shot you will have no problem. If I were you I would try the Hypo +P. It offers more penetration for lower draw weights. John Dudley is shooting these after recovering from shoulder surgery and I think is poundage is still in the sixties. They also have great durability unlike some people say. You can also refer to johns YouTube page for a recent vid of a Hypo in a elk leg bone. Very durable. Just my two cents on all of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the 2" Hypodermic's with no problems. I've been using them for two seasons now and have taken three deer all being complete pass through. If I had known about the 1 1/2" version, I would have went with them.

4. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had good luck with rage heads myself.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use Rage hypodermics I switched to the muzzy hybrid no blade retention system to mess up.

6. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting the hypodermic for two years now. poundage set at 70 pounds and arrow at right around 400 grains giving me a n estimated mid 70's for KE. I've killed 4 deer in the past 2 years with them, two does and two big bucks. Both does were easy pass through, both were inside of 20 yards. Both bucks were roughly 30 yards and quartering away. Both shots buried all the way to the fletches hitting the opposite shoulder and have had outstanding blood trails on all 4 deer, even when the arrow remained in the animal. I just made a post earlier this week about these broadheads, I've always been a rage skeptic. Until I tried them, It would be very difficult to get me to switch at this point.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am no expert because I do not shoot mechanicals, but I would be concerned that 60ft/lbs would not be enough to cause blade deployment. You may want to purchase the LOW KE broadheads if that is what you are going to shoot.

8. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the lower KE, the blade will still deploy upon impact, the concern is, is there enough energy left to get good penetration after that initial energy dump of the blades expanding.

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a large mature doe Saturday evening. After gutting her I realized that I split a rib vertically on entrance and exit. All but the fletchings made it out the exit hole.
    I'm shooting the 100 Grain Rage Chisel Tip.

10. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are three ways to kill a deer with archery. 1. You poke a hole in a lung then they basically suffocate. 2. You cut enough blood vessels they bleed to death. 3. You hit the spine or brain and they die of nerve damage.
    Of course a bad hit and they die of infection but you seldom recover those. Now the question is how to poke the best hole to achieve the desired results. I used to get pass throughs with a 50# recurve and cedar shafts using Bear Razorheads so we know a "cut on contact " fixed head will do it. But all heads need to be SHARP and a pass through will leave a better blood trail. If you shoot mechanicals because you have issues and can not tune your bow / shafts to fly right then you are handicapping yourself. If you believe you need a 2 inch cut to drop deer then maybe you are not shooting good enough because a fieldpoint will poke a hole in a lung that will kill deer. The mechanical heads use energy to open and have more opportunities to fail but if you hit a lung it should still work.
    It has been my observation at the range that most would be better off turning down the poundage and working at tuning the shaft to the bow. But there is no harm in shooting a head like the "cool kids " so long as you can put it in the zone.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just guessing because a couple pieces of important information are missing from the OP but a bow pulling 60 pounds and producing 60# of KE and less than 250 FPS of speed is either a short draw or is shooting a heavy arrow.

If it's a case of a heavy arrow, then there will be more than enough momentum to open blades and push them through.

If you want to use a mechanical from that setup, I recommend an arrow that weighs 400 grains or more for a long draw length and 450 or more for a shorter draw.

12. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your arrow weight with a heavier arrow you should be fine since momentum plays a big role in the deploying of the blades? If your arrow weight is lower you could try the low KE versions but if its too low id shy away. I have had no problem and they work well for MY setup. Last year broke both shoulders with one on a 6.5 year old buck at 50 yards.

13. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been curious about these? Please report when you harvest a deer with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brad4201 PM'ed me after he shot a deer with the head, I have heard the blood trails are impressive and the head flies good too.

15. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In "most" cases you would be fine with the regular Hypodermics. I'm shooting a very similar setup at 54 pounds, 27" DL, 392 grain arrow at 264 fps. I chose to go with the Hypodermic +P for the more swept back blade angle. I those would work for your setup.

On the +P heads they use the same blades as the regular Hypo's so they are still 2 inch but once they are swept back all the way it aids in a little better penetration typically. There is so many different scenarios that can happen in the woods when making the shot so the biggest thing you can do is pick a head that gives you the best chance for the most part and try to do your part by making a good shot.

Either way, both would work but If I had to pick one for you, I would pick the Hypodermic +P

16. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot these this year. I double lunged a doe with my 60 # bow with 340 grain arrows and got a complete pass through. The blood trail was amazing and both lungs had massive 4 way cuts in them. They flew true to my field points and did a great job on opening. I will be using them the rest of the year.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  17. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    U won't have to worry about them opening on impact. U more than likely will not get a pass through tho. I shoot rage 2 blade chiseled tip and before them I shot muzzy for ever like 10 years my buddy made me try rage I didn't wanna bc I hated all the hype everyone was giving them but man the results are there nap makes a broad head a lot like rage and heard good things on them to.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will boil it all down:

YOU DO YOUR JOB, THEY WILL DO THEIR JOB.

SAME AS EVERY OTHER BROADHEAD ON THE MARKET

Specific advantages or disadvantages can be argued till we're all blue in the face, some are scientific and others are assumptions but it boils down to the above.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  19. SRSmith

SRSmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Just getting caught up in the hype. I'm shooting Carbon Express 350's this year. They're 447 grains at a 29 inch draw. I've always used 125 grain Thunderheads and tuned my bow so they fly like my field points. Started having shoulder issues and dropped down from 70 to 60 pounds. Always been a believer in accuracy before speed.

20. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No mechanicals for me. With today's tuneable bows, quality string materials and building processes I see no need to use a mechanical.

FWIW I shot over a dozen deer with Spitfires and 2 deer with a Rage. The Rage after the second deer looked like a wrinkled pop can with a broken tip, bent ferule and broken blades. That made me learn how to tune my bow. Exodus or Hellrazor on my arrows now. I would use a Thunderhead in a heart beat too. I will never use a Rage again.