Nephew Moving to Albany NY

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by splinter2, Oct 30, 2012.

1. splinter2

splinter2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He has taken a Job starting in Jan, and was woundering about the Deer Hunting, Up that way, Alot of Public land? He went there last week and said Uncle it is beautiful up there. :)

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a bit of public land, but it really gets pounded pretty hard up here. If he's happy with shooting young bucks and does there are plenty of places to hunt.

Where is he moving from? Get him on the site here and get him in touch with me and I'd be happy to point him in the right direction to get him on some decent public land.

3. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live and hunt about 1/2 hour south of Albany. There are a LOT of deer around here...but not many of them have antlers. I was told by an Encon Officer who works here that there are about 12 or 13 does for every buck. So needless to say, there are not a ton of monster bucks like you would see in Illinois. A "monster" out here would get you laughed at in other places! A guy locally shot a 10 pointer, and there was a crowd around his truck "ooh"ing and "aah"ing at it. If he hunts for meat, then he'll be psyched...TONS of big does everywhere you look.

4. Billy-Kayla Pulsifer

Billy-Kayla Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive taken some great deer in columbia county, about 45 mins south east of albany. Definitely some decnt land to hunt!

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I live just south of Albany, the best bucks come from the bow hunting only zone in Albany. Access is very limited, we guard our area and work hard to maintain access. Plenty of hunting south of Albany and to the north and west... Just need to knock in some doors and do some leg work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    trial153, where are you located? I'm curious if we know each other? I have access to a small piece of private land in the bow hunting zone in Delmar, used to work for Lemme's, and know most of the guys that hang out or work at most of the bow shops around here.

I actually feel the better hunting in the area is west of Albany, and getting access is easier too. My primary hunting is done about an hour west of Albany in Otsego county and we are consistently having encounters with bucks in the 120-140" class about every year, and while we are on private property there is a big chunk of public land that butts right up to the place that these deer are frequenting. My experiences is that even in the better parts of the bow zone in Albany the trespassing is out of control, and all the lots are so small it's impossible to control a deers entire core area.

7. StoneFenceFarm

StoneFenceFarm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Partridge Run is a wildlife management area in SW Albany County. Not sure how hard it gets hunted. During bow season it might not be to bad.