Neighbors!!!!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure most of you on here one time or another have had problems with neighbors when it comes to hunting. Whether it be a big or small problem. Mowing the big field I saw vehicle tracks that came from the neighbors property. I also noticed a ground blind and a tree stand up that was about a foot off the property line. However the only direction this person could possibly shoot is into my field. How would you guys deal with this since the blind and tree stand are on his property, but obviously he's hunting my field?

JohnnyD likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be an issue, obviously with the positioning of the ground blind. The problem with idiots is that they have no idea that they are stupid and are greatly offended when their ignorance is pointed out to them. I would be proactive on this situation this evening have a large mexican dinner have 10-12 beers with dinner as well. Get up in the morning and have a cup of coffee and when the urge hits to empty your bowel be in that ground blind. It won't change the ground blind position but you can at least laugh to yourself knowing he is having a crappy time sitting in there.

3. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For starters let me say Sota you haven't let me down yet. LOL Well one thing I was thinking of was that if the only direction to shoot from that location is onto your field, then put up a blind right next to his just on your side of the property line. For a few extra bucks make it a 8' wide blind. Or set up cameras on your side and try to catch him on your side. I don't know if you know the neighbor or not but depending on the relationship talking may be a way as well. Good luck to ya and I'm in to see what happens.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a stake with a no trespassing sign on it and drive it into the ground right in front of the blind. Face it at the blind so the only thing he sees from the blind is it staring him in the face. I would leave a note also with your concerns on it and your phone number. Be up front about and don't play games. There is always a chance he doesn't know the property lines and doesn't know the lines.

5. 27drawNY

27drawNY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin had this problem... He told me he ended up having words with the guys doing it... In the end he climbed up there and took a dump the day before the season opened... I told him if he could get pictures of them trespassing I know a few cops and sheriff's in his area... He hasn't complained about them since...

Sent from my LG-H830 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that's a pretty sh*tty thing to do.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good to a local feed and farm supply store and buy several hay bales. Stack them right in front of the blind just on your side of the property line. Spray paint "No Trespassing" on the stack of hay bales in whatever color is required for marking property boundaries. Make the stack like 20 feet wide and 10 feet high.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like this very much!! Had a similar problem with gentlemen who placed a ground blind right below my tree stand. Put large sign on stake in front of shooting window 'PLEASE LOOK UP'. The real laugh was that I ran into this gentleman two weeks later and he complained that I shouldn't have put my tree stand above his blind!!

27drawNY, Holt and Shawn Clark like this.
  9. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    You all have some pretty good ideas. Maybe I'll try a mixture of all of them, lol.

27drawNY likes this.
  10. flyinj03

flyinj03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These are some good ideas. My dad had some land, that has now been sold, that bordered a nice 40 acre wooded river bottom on one side, and houses in the other. The land was never great for bucks, but that area had a doe reduction effort that allowed for multiple doe tags. Helped fill the freezer! Anyhow, the one neighbor right next door in the housing area never liked the idea of me hunting in there. She would do all kinds of things, bang pots and pans while I was hunting, spread bait in her yard to keep them out of my land, etc. The worst was when she called the Sherrif's dept on me saying I was shooting a gun in there. I came out and explained to the deputy's that there is 2 rifle ranges within 5 miles as the crow flies, and with the right wind, you can hear them. They listened and soon shook their heads and left. The one deputy, who said he also now hunts, told me he was really sorry, because as I walked out, I kicked out 6 deer that were moving my way. Damn neighbors!

11. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad you no longer own the property. Bear baiting a neighbors yard is always fun. Of course my neighbor has a sense of humor.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    27drawNY and flyinj03 like this.
  12. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The hay bale idea is a good one but might cost a little and require some effort. You might just consider cutting a bunch of brush and piling it against the fence so a person in the blind could scarcely even see into your property. Not as good as the hay bales but could be done for free with a hour and a limb saw.

13. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please let us know what happens with this one :jerry:

14. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'm naive or I just don't have enough experience with A hole neighbors, but isn't there a good chance a conversation with the neighbor will go a long way toward peace and harmony? The simplest explanation for their actions is ignorance (of property lines) or carelessness (they assumed you wouldn't care?). So before starting a family feud, track them down and talk? Maybe over beers that you bought? Of course if the neighbor is defiant, you have several suggestions above on how to proceed.

flopdrop, Kfili, Me53 and 1 other person like this.
  15. 27drawNY

27drawNY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes yes... I've come across a-holes twice and there was no way because they didn't want to get along...

Sent from my LG-H830 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To this point, if it is your first interaction with this particular neighbor, conversation seems to be the best route. You might be lucky and have one of the good ones (though ignorant of property boundaries). If that doesn't work...then a wall of ground blind fabric between a couple 8' posts should work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

27drawNY likes this.
  17. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Just made a giant brush pile. We'll see what happens.

airenlow, Kfili, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Subtle but effective.

19. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking that if a talk doesn't work.....maybe you need to fertilize the area with fish guts ? Also a road kill opossum would work in this heat ;)