Neighbors baiting with corn, What do I do

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by deckhead, Dec 29, 2014.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try a bail of Alfalfa!

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to create great bedding on your property far enough in that you can shoot them while they go to your neighbors corn

3. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Apples are a great attractant, but in season I can tell you a deer will go out of his way for a nibble at a pear. I have two trees in my back yard that have deer as thick as Japanese beatles when the pears are reaching maturity. I've actually watched them pass an apple tree by to get at the pears.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pears are what I call an icecream feed for deer, not common and very desirable.

5. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pears are great the problem is in my neck of the woods they are done by sept...

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Create the best bedding area in the county on your property!! Soon they will go nocturnal on theirs.....

7. deckhead

deckhead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think ur on to something. I have great bedding on my property. I think I'm going to "doctor" up a spot on some trails from my bedding to his feed and hope they stop on the way. I would just hunt the trails but its crp and there are just too many trails. One more question. Y'all had any luck hunting mock scrapes on trails from bedding to feed areas?

Thanks for all the info. Good posts.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love mixing in some Monster Raxx attractant (Monster Raxx Products | Deer Minerals & Deer Attractants) into my corn. A bag of minerals every other month or so also helps. Id bet if you keep yours all year, you have a better chance at winning the corn battle, because Im sure when antlers fall he will stop spending the money on corn for a while. If you are more reliable, youll win the deer. Also, the between his corn and youre bedding is a great idea.

9. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mock scrapes are good if you can keep them fresh. If you have an open field have you thought about planting trees? you could plant some evergreen trees into a funnel to his land and you would make a highway

11. kydropTine

kydropTine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wild bird seed is king over corn here in ky they will walk past corn to get the bird seed... I could once get it at tsc just under 10 bucks for 50 pounds but they don't carry it for that price anymore.. wish they did...I been mixing it with corn and having good luck with it.. the only prob is u will have ever bird it the woods...

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly was in the bird seed? I assume birds don't grow from seed, lol.

13. kydropTine

kydropTine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its the mixed up seed sunflowers and not sure what the rest is..lol

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I need to look up the nutritional values of sunflowers, I know deer love the things like nothing else I've ever planted. I was thinking of growin a few acres of them this year.

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what the nutrition value of sunflowers is off hand but with the oil in them I would think it is pretty good.

16. Andy_W7ATR

Andy_W7ATR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    More deer urine and scents... lol

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I found online:
    Feeding Sunflower Seeds to Horses | The Feed Room

Black oil sunflower seeds will be about 17% protein, 44% fat and 24% neutral detergent fiber (NDF).
    Striped sunflower seeds will be about 16% protein, 24% fat and 40% NDF.
    If you feed a pound of black oil sunflower seeds, you are adding about 7 ounces of oil (less than a cup) and 2.72 ounces of protein with minimal digestible NDF or other nutrients.

Feeding Sunflower to Livestock | National Sunflower Association of Canada
    Cattle producers can replace a part of the traditional diet of barley grain/silage with sunflower seeds to enhance conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) content in milk and meat for its positive health benefits.

Feeding whole sunflower seeds to dairy cattle as a way to increase the energy content of the diet of high-producing dairy cows may boost milk production by 3-5%. This is similar to the increase that can be expected from other feeding sources like soybeans, cottonseed, tallow, or dry fat products. This alternative to cattle feed can provide Sunflower growers with an alternative market outlet for sunflower seeds, in times of low prices or damaged seeds.

Sunflower seeds provide high-energy feed for livestock due to their high fat content. One pound of fat contains 2.25 times as much energy as one pound of carbohydrates from feed grain or forages.

I know I had some sunflowers in some food plot mixes this fall and the deer ate the bloom/seed head and every leaf, all that was left was the stalk and that was before frost. I'm going to plant a couple acres of them this year for sure. If I ca nfind a market to contract, I may try to grow about thirty acres of them as a cash crop.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do they grow pretty easy? Like could I frost seed them? Or take a little more effort then that?

19. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have planted them the last 2 years. They are not the easiest plant to deal with, but I have had great trail cam pics and good deer and dove hunting over them. It also seemed this year that the turkey came around them too.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    What I had of them this past fall were easy to grow but I just no-tilled them in. Frost seeding I doubt, I would imagine the critters would clean them up before they got a chance to grow.