Need some help on my shot tonight!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GordysHGH, Nov 6, 2016.

1. GordysHGH

GordysHGH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, tonight i had a nice buck come out about 300 yards away and i had my doe decoy out, he was just feeding so i let out a grunt and he instantly turned. He walked straight down the field, head down towards my decoy. once he reached my decoy he cocked his head side ways and turned like he was going to charge my doe, but he stoped perfectly broadside, so i took the shot at 20 yards, and as soon as i shot he leaned into ram my decoy. I didnt catch where my arrow hit. He slowly ran 30 yards and stood behind me in the bush, i could hear him walking around for about 5 minutes. It sounded like he was just clumsily stepping around.

I waited about a half hour before i got out of my stand to go check my arrow, but when i got to my arrow. there was only 3" of good blood and a bit of meat on it and some hair and my fletching had an odd smell to it. Not guts but it definitely had that deer smell to it. But absolutely no blood in the field, i couldnt find any. I knew where he went into the bush and stood, so i walked in 10 yards and found several puddles off blood and trickles of blood between each. i did what i thought was best and backed out, went home and now asking for some help from yous. ill attach some pictures of the broadhead, (blood runner) which by the way one of the blades is broke off. Also a picture of one of the blood pools. IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3785.jpg IMG_3786.jpg

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    White hair on the arrow? Go back in the morning.

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks/sounds like a muscle hit to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. GordysHGH

GordysHGH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    only thing is, shotgun hunt starts tomorrow and this bush gets pushed first thing in the morning.

5. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a rear ham hit, why blade broke, big boned there and maybe u cut the femoral artery, explains the decent blood. In any case u have a dead deer !!! If artery is hit , deer will bleed out in less than 75 yds.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If hit the femoral artery the deer wouldn't have been walking around behind him five minutes later however stranger things happened. If that's the case though unlikely then he is dead already
    However it Looks like you hit low in the brisket or crease between the front leg and the brisket.
    There is nothing to be gained by waiting over night on a muscle hit.
    Go track the deer, if you push him he may bleed out. Or it maybe show you he has a superficial wound that he isn't going to succumb to anytime soon.

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    low hit.
    non-fatal

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could the fletching have brushed his tarsal gland on the way to the ground. Would explain the funky smell.

9. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with the brisket hit. Looks to me like muscle blood, from what I've seen in the past. Don't not track him, though. Leave no stone unturned

Sent from a piece of paper, tied to a rock.

10. GordysHGH

GordysHGH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Couple of my buddys and i just went out to track, had awesome blood off the star, high up on branched and wide puddles of blood then it just went to a drop here and a drop there, then nothing at all. i know the gang that pushes the bush this week, and there going to let me know if anything turns up. fingers crossed

11. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, a artery hit, Probly not last long. I agree more with a brisket then maybe inside of leg broke the blade. I don't know, I do know deer have a amazing will to live.