Need help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Z2TL66, May 14, 2016.

1. Z2TL66

Z2TL66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am diabetic and not much feeling in my feet and hand get cold easy . Any one have had luck keeping hands and feet warm and still be pliable to shot a bow without taking gloves off and being able to sit long hours ????? THANK YOU

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Several thoughts I've seen on here over the years some combination may be helpful...start with good gloves, socks and footwear.

Socks-The merino wool or blends breath and don't easily get a funky stank while providing comfort and warmth. There are also (battery) heated socks and insoles but it seems YMMV with the effectiveness of these.

Boots make sure they fit with the socks you're wearing and are insulated. Thinsulate is one product used which works well (look at something like the 800g or more products. Some boots are a 2 part product with effectively a poly boot liner. These were a cheap pair I bought for my sons (one is T1) at ****s:[​IMG] I find these warm, but they don't breath as well and aren't great for long hikes, but toasty for a sit.

Gloves use similar materials as above, but the warmest I've found were actually a two part shooting glove with a wool inner and a weatherproof outer. Problem with these was they worked for fun hunting but not for bow. You could look at 2 different gloves if you can't find a nimble shooting glove.

Other ideas: hand/boot warmers (some even taping them to wrists/ankles and back near the kidneys); heater body suit; muffs for hands.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As much as i hear people raving about the Heater body suit. I think that would be the way to go, or at least a good start.

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone tried the heated thermacell liners? I always wear a thin pair of gloves when bow hunting. When the temps dip, I wear a muffler on my waist with hand warmers in them. Keeps my hands toasty.

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thermocell heated insoles have worked for me in the past. There are some battery powered heated gloves on line that might also be worth a look. and as mentioned above having a regular hand warmers that you can hold on the stand for additional warmth when needed may be helpful as well. tough problem...good luck with it.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  6. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I suffer from poor circulation meaning my hands and feet freeze really quickly and being an Aussie I'm more comfortable at 100F than 0F. Last year I tried 1000 gram boots and good Socks with those chemical foot warmers and my feet still got cold on those really cold days. Those chemical foot warmers a useless, if you think about it they react with O2 in the air and pretty quickly there is no O2 left in your boot so they stop working. I'm switching to the electric insole which I found on discount in the bargain cave at Cabelas. Now is a good time to find cheap warm stuff for next year!

Keeping my hands warm I found a good combination that worked for me last season using a woolen glove liner and a mitten over glove. I shoot with the liners on as they are flexible enough to allow movement and feel for shooting but stop your hand from falling off with the cold and the mittens are super good at keeping you warm for a long sit and have enough space to keep a hand warmer tab in there. Even though the liners are thin make sure you shoot with them prior to climbing a tree it still changes your feel.

Glove liner: Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Insole: Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Clem

8. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned is that in addition to good boots and socks, make sure they are not too tight. That will cut off circulation and make your feet cool really fast.

9. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    merino wool socks are the best, IMHO. boots that are too tight are horrible for warmth.