Need help. Moving to Virginia.

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by DoePeeSteve, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t been on here in years so I hope this thread goes here (possible water cooler thread?).

My wife has decided to take a new job. We’ll be moving late July/early August 2019 to Virginia (from Pennsylvania ).

I’m looking for a club to join, land to lease, or a place to bow hunt. We’re moving to the Harrisonburg area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

About me:
    In my thirties. I retired my business a few years ago to start a family. I exclusively hunt whitetail (due to lack of time). I’m an experienced and ethical hunter. I’ve been known to come and track other people’s deer for/with them. I enjoy watching deer. I’m ok with passing on the little ones. Last year I had a lease in Kentucky, but due to illness two of the members will be dropping out and I’ll forfeit the lease. I have all the necessary gear to hang stands without hurting any trees. I hike to all my stands. I prefer to bow hunt, but if I have a place to rifle hunt I’ll sit a day or two.

On a side note: any tips regarding Virginia hunting would be greatly appreciated.

2. John T.

John T. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't really help but I recall coming down I-81 and seeing several deer grazing under the lights of a billboard at the edge of town. Beautiful country. Wish you the best!

w33kender likes this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the Shenandoah Valley is a special place.

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi
    I moved to Fredericksburg VA from Erie Pa. You will be surrounded by the Gorge Washington Nat. Forest. A ton of public land in that area. I have hunted bear over that way. Down side no Sunday hunting on public land. Check the VA bow hunters association for a club near Harrisonburg. VA archery season is so much better than PA :thewave:

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or just follow VirginiaShadow's LFTS 2018 thread and try to scavenge his leftovers...if there are any.

6. mtnarcher

mtnarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If your gonna be in Harrisonburg they have the Rockingham bow hunters club . Great bunch of guys ,look them up they have a website, you will be close to Staunton and they they have the Augusta archers club. I'm in luray about 35 minutes away we have the broadhead archery club .

7. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. This has been very helpful.

8. John T.

John T. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I retired almost ten years ago. My wife retired almost three years ago. She recently stated if anyone goes back to work, it will be me. So...I about a year ago, I decided to become an outdoor writer and photographer. Got a lot of ideas.