Need help from fellow Florida bow hunters!!!!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Shawn Clark, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of you on here probably have seen my posts from years past. I'm an Ohio guy that just moved down to Florida. What can you guys tell me about Florida whitetail hunting. When is rut, when does velvet typically come off, are there any velvet hunts down here? I've had plenty of success in Ohio and will go back there to hunt every year for a couple weeks. I'd like to be as successful here in Florida as I was in Ohio. I know for the most part deer are smaller down here. I live in Port St Lucie. Are they any good public spots near me? Any help would be appreciated.

2. miamijessejames

miamijessejames Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to Florida! The hunting here will be nothing like Ohio. You’ll have to adjust your expectations. For most of the state anything close to 100 inches is a great buck and, on public land, pretty much any legal buck is a good buck.

The rut in Florida differs all over the state. The Panhandle and certain pockets of central Fl have a decent rut. The rut in the South is pretty screwy- a doe can be in heat in the early summer, late summer, or even early fall.

In my experience, bucks have all shed their velvet long before season begins.

As for public land, it’s tough but doable. Quota hunts are generally better because there is less pressure- these hunts are free. Some of the Special Opportunity hunts are very good- you have to pay an application fee and then another fee if you are drawn. The application period for Quota and Special Opportunity hunts begins next month. For non-quota hunts, your best bet is to learn a place and stay with it. It takes persistence or else a lot of luck.

One quota hunt you might want to consider is Dupuis. It’s not the best place in Florida, but it’s decent, has game, and isn’t too far from you.

Triple N and Fort Drum are Special Opportunity hunts pretty close to you.

Non-quota spots you might consider are Kissimmee River and J.W. Corbett. I can’t think of any others off the top of my head in your area. You can find a list of WMAs on the FWC website.

Good luck here in Florida (the deer here might be smaller, but they taste better) and take that Ohio trip for a big boy.

Black Eagle Arrows
    60X Custom Strings
    Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

Shawn Clark likes this.
  3. miamijessejames

miamijessejames Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Correction on the quota application period. I forgot it was already May. You can begin applying May 15.

Black Eagle Arrows
    60X Custom Strings
    Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

4. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where in FL are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. slecken

slecken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shawn, if your interested there is a deer season scouting kick off party being put on by the Florida chapter of Back Country Hj gets and Anglers in Jupiter this weekend. Here is a link if your interested. I will be there. I moved to Florida last year from Illinois a d this will be my first deer season down here as well. Hunting public ground so I am in the same boat as you.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/south_florida_deer_hog_scouting_workshop