Need help buying a rangefinder

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by oneshotonly, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MACH

MACH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I second the Leupold! I have the same one and it's awesome. I have looked at and used many different kinds including the Nikon, Bushnell, etc. but the Leupold hands down has my vote. Accurate, optics are very good, and you can't beat a rangefinder with the red OLED display. Only downfall at low light is if you leave it on max setting it is a little bright. BUT you can turn down how bright it displays as well. I am in MN and we don't really need 1000 yards ranging but when I go out west I have the power in my finder to do so.

2. infantryoif

infantryoif Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, a quick math check will demonstrate you're mistaken. If you lase a target from a 20' elevated position and the rengefinder returns a 20 yd line-of-sight distance, the program will return a corrected range of 56.57 ft [ c^2=a^2+b^2 => a=sqrt(c^2-b^2) where b=sight height and c=line of sight range]. That's a difference of 3.43 ft, or 1.14 yds. This is a pretty normal bow scenario, but further shots and higher stand heights will yield even larger corrections.

I know, it's still not much, but if you're going to throw around numbers this engineer is obliged to perform a sanity check.

The real question is whether this corrected range will lead to a more accurately-placed shot. If you have a sight pin for every yard from 10-40, sure it will. But for most bow hunters it's rather pointless. Furthermore, this range-compensation feature is based on a loose ballistics approximate anyway.

3. dcdan5154

dcdan5154 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why incline even matters because quoting a physics lecture i sat through gravity only effects an object along its horizontal axis anyway so just range where you expect the shot before climbing into a tree stand.

4. backstrapfeaster

backstrapfeaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
  5. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While that is somewhat true, that's not completely accurate at the same time. Since there is LESS gravitational force on the arrow, it will impact higher than your point of aim; this will change with the angle of the shot. A angle compensation rangefinder can help a lot of people with making a more ethical shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex 1000 is by far the best I've used. Better than my nikon archers choice. And my bushnell scout 1000. Its like night and day. Low light its awesome and has red crosshairs that light up with 3 different brightness settings. I love it

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

7. Iowah

Iowah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Halo XRT

8. marcofran.1989

marcofran.1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hello everyone!! I'm new on bowhunting forum my Hobby is hunting. in last month I went to montana for hunting ELK with my new vortex ranger 1000. It was awesome. It is very similar to the leupold in both size and weight, it has 2 large buttons on the top of the unit. Vortex provides a belt clip pre-attached at the factory designed to be removed and installed on either side at the user’s discretion.

I think this is the best one in cheap rate. But if it’s not, than it would be very kind that you suggest me the best…

9. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is also what I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. marcofran.1989

marcofran.1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All the golf players can now enhance the quality of their game easily by buying Golf Rangefinder. Golf players can easily measure the distance from things which are present in the zone. Golf rangefinder has got a lens through which, distance and time can easily be measured from different things. It works on the principle of GPS. When the view of the field is not clear, Golf rangefinder has the laser which can still work in such situations. So rangefinder allows golf player to play easily and enjoy their game without being stressful.

11. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t overlook a refurbished rangefinder from Natchez SS. Nikon 550 works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums