Need advice.

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by hound, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hound

hound Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have pics of one buck that has shed and you know he is a nice buck (looking at his body size) but the rest of the bucks have not shed yet would you go looking for them? or would you wait a while in hopes of not running the other bucks out of the area before they shed there antlers?

Attached Files:

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't have to worry about other shed hunters or squirrels/porcupines chewing them up... I would wait if it were me.

Tim

3. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer right now are more worried about food. If you are in the food area they will be back. I would get them due to a lot of shed hunters now a days!

4. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are alot of things to take into concideration at this point. How large of an area are we walking also is it between bedding and feeding travels. if in fact you go in early you run the risk of putting to much pressure on the other deer and pushing them out of your area completely. trust me you dont wanna do that, some bucks shed early do to injury or genetics, however the best times to shed hunt are usually the end of february, by this time most bucks have cast a side by now. although you will see big bruisers hold late sometimes as late as april ive seen it. Do what your gut tells you but i would probably wait a little while before i would pressure the herd and run the risk of pushing them out of my area.

5. hound

hound Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea thats what I'm thinking to. Just worried the rodents are going to eat them up.