Need Advice on Current Food Plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by KCArrowSlinger, Jul 11, 2013.

1. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need Advice on Current Food Plot - UPDATED

Below are the pics of our food plot this spring (from beginning to now). This is our first go at a food plot. The question is what do we do with it now that it's time to get the fall plot planted. We used the Evolve Throw and Grow with clover, brasicas and rye. As you see in the last photo the plot is full and tall. Almost two feet tall to be exact. Do we just leave it as is for the fall or do with kill it off, re-till and replant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is what it looked like before we got started
    FP1.jpg

Working the ground
    FP2.jpg

Before Planting
    FP3.jpg

Planting (not fun in the mud by the way)
    FP4.jpg

Some of the hinge cuts we did
    FP5.jpg

Seeing Growth
    FP6.jpg

More Growth
    FP7.jpg

Filling in nicely
    FP8.jpg

Even better
    FP9.jpg

Momma and her baby in the plot
    FP10.jpg

This is just a shot of our bachelor group in the second plot that will be going in here in a week (ignore the date, ants have the camera all messed up)
    FP11.jpg

Plot last month
    FP12.jpg

What the plot looks like now
    FP13.jpg

*UPDATE*

Well, not long after mowing the plot down the rains started and didn't stop. We had a major flood and the plot sat underwater for about a month. Once it was dry enough to get back in there we went ahead and threw some seed down. We've been pretty down after all the work we did in the spring. Hopefully something will come up and the deer will come back.

Here is the last picture of the food plot before the water went over the trail cam. Unfortunately, we weren't able to save the trail cam but at least got the card out of it.
    Flood2013 1.jpg

Our timber is in the background with the river behind it. Just to give an idea of how high the water was.
    Flood2013 2.jpg

And here is the results of what the plot looked like once the water went down.
    Flood2013 3.jpg

Some of the downed trees from the flood. We lost quite a few big ones.
    Flood2013 4.jpg

Here is what the plot looked like a couple of weeks ago. We have a little bit of growth coming back. It rained a week ago so we are hoping that it goes crazy with growth. Will be heading down to hunt next weekend so we'll see if the deer are back.
    Flood2013 5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  2. HuntinNBassin

HuntinNBassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That plot turned out great!! I have no experience in this area but I am sure some of these guys will chime in.

3. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The rye is rye grass if it's throw and grow which is the last thing you want in a food plot. If you plan to plant a fall plot you will have to hit it with gly to kill the grass or it is just going to over take anything you plant. Cereal grains,radish,turnips,DER all make good fall food plots.I would spray it wait a week mow it to the ground.

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That looks pretty good. You got lots of options. Them brassicas if left alone would get pretty big and have alot of food into the winter being a small spot vs lets say a acre of brassicas. Which is a good thing.

Another option would be to mow like half of it and see how it comes back. Even use a weed wacker. I know some brassicas/rye grass can take a mowing and not sure what is exactly in that mix.

Not sure where you are located, but if that was my plot here in Wisconsin, I would leave it as them brassicas will be sought after come later in the season.

5. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking since the brassicas were left untouched they would mature and seed out (bolt) before the first frost...?? If this were my plot I would spray with gly a couple times to get a good burn. When all the vegetation is dead I would mow very close to the ground or till again and plant a cereal grain mix like winter rye (not rye grass) and oats. You can also add some clover and a small amount of purple top turnips or radish to the mix to add variety. Do not over seed the radish and turnips too thick due to it shading out the rest of the mix. Good luck and keep us posted!

6. KCArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to all for the advice. I think what we'll do is leave a descent size strip along the edge of the plot to see what happens with the brassicas. I'll mow, spray and re-till the rest of the plot and plant with suggested seeds. I'll update with pics as they come. Will do the mowing and spraying tomorrow and tilling next week. Along with tilling the other food plot we have killed off and ready to go. BTW... we are in Eastern Kansas.

7. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definately spray and till under at least 75% of it. Unless those are a long season brassica, they will be very stemmy by deer season.
    Good luck.
    John

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This. I've experimented with early season plantings of Brassicas, and they simply do not have the same attractiveness and palatability once into October/November that July plantings seem to yield.

I would mow (or till under), spray, and till. Plant clover with some sore of cool season annual cereal around the beginning of September. Or do a Brassica mix (Turnips, rape, and radish) in mid-late July.

9. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like the others have said, it's probably time to kill most off and start over. I wouldn't do all of it though as you will want to keep them attracted to the plot the rest of summer. Maybe once you see good growth on that 75% or what ever you till up and replant then you can go and kill off the remainder and plant it as well.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, but why did you plant that type of mix in the spring? That is what I would want to be planting late summer around here to have a good fall plot. For spring/summer, you would likely do well with a clover mix. Well done on the plot. I also would get it killed out, burned and then replanted to a mix similar to what you used the first time.

11. KCArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, we are brand new at this food plot thing and just grabbed something off the shelf. The Throw n Grow actually had clover in it but we never saw it come up.
    We went out this last weekend and mowed it all down (broke my heart doing it) and got it all sprayed. Plan on heading back this weekend to till it back up weather permitting.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should have a great fall plot. You could go with a clover and chichory mix that would last for several years there if you mow it a time or two each summer. Don't forget to fertilize each year also.

13. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    keep us updated on how it turns out.

Did you leave any of it standing to see how it does? Or you mow the whole thing?

14. KCArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    Here it is after mowing it down.
    DSCN0428.jpg

And this is what we left on one side of it.
    DSCN0430.jpg

We actually have pictures of deer all over in the plot the very night we mowed it. Only a few hours after we left.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013