Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Nebraska

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by drenman, Sep 9, 2013.

1. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw my first mature buck of the year in daylight yesterday, he came into the field put his nose to the ground lifted his head and took off on a trot. Sure looked like things are starting but then about 40 minutes later I had a nice doe come through 10 yards from my stand with no buck in tow.

This morning on my way to work I did see a buck tending a doe, I was moving too fast to see if he was mature. I think things are just starting to heat up, this weekend should be fun.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting the Pawnee City area solo. Please PM me your contact information if you are relatively close and are willing to give a hand on a recovery or help if something goes terribly wrong. I'll pay for gas, beer, etc....

3. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    It is officially on here in the Lincoln area. I just pulled into my office that is on the outskirts of town and watched 4 does being harassed by one mature buck and one smaller one and then as in our parking lot I see another shooter buck running across the adjacent field. Why did I schedule a meeting this morning???

I'll be in the stand by noon!

4. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What part of town. i work on the outskirts on the north side of town and see bucks running does every year but nothing this year yet.

5. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the north side too, Tuesday and Wednesday morning I saw bucks pushing does around on my way into work. I did an all day sit yesterday and had young bucks chasing does 3 different times in morning, afternoon was a ghost town. The only mature buck I saw was from 200 yards away and he was by himself at the time. It is still early but definitely heating up.

6. Whitetailfreak52

Dislikes Received:
    Was out last night and had 3 diff bucks crusing alone. 1 young one 1 nice 2 year old and a mature not came in when it was to dark for camera light.. So I'd say the bigger deer are up on their feet looking for does. This week should be good

7. HoytGirl

HoytGirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2015814583757.jpg

I took this buck on Veterans Day in Lancaster Co! Not too bad for my first bowkill!!

8. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Well done HoytGirl! You have the second mature buck I've seen taken this year.

Great first bow kill, that will be tough to out do!

9. Whitetailfreak52

Dislikes Received:
    nice kill!
    on another note, anyone been seeing anything? i have been out pretty much everyday and have not seen a mature buck in 4 days.. i think they may be locked down with does. last night i was out and saw 6 to 7 diff young bucks out and about but no big boys. as a bow hunter this weekend starts the worst week of the year... (guns season)

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a awesome encounter from the ground no less this last Tuesday! I needed three more steps! This buck was a big boy and boy did I have him fired up.

11. Whitetailfreak52

Dislikes Received:
    anyone been out?? i only bow hunt so i havnt been out during gun season.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out once since rifle season started. I saw one buck first thing in the morning. I usually see 5 to 10 deer in that location every sit. Before rifle season started I saw my target buck 3 days in a row. He seems to have disappeared. Maybe that could have something to do with the gut pile that was 20 yards from my stand the last sit. What ever was killed it looked like it was taken on opening weekend.

13. arrowslinger1980

arrowslinger1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to the site. I hunt around Lincoln. Any plans after rifle season for you guys? I heard the rifle season was way off compared to previous years.

14. Whitetailfreak52

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the site! I also hunt around Lincoln! I'll get back after it hard now that the gun season has passed. The guys that rifle hunt my farms didnt do very good this year.. I have only herd of one doe killed. I'm not going to complain about that at all tho.

15. Carsonbow4

Carsonbow4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to the site, I live in Lincoln also. But, our family has land just outside of O'neill that we hunt and fish on. I killed a turkey with my bow in mid-October, my first kill with a bow. We tried to get a deer but just didn't see any. We weren't hit with EHD as hard as everybody else, but last summer when it was really dry a neighbor was out baling hay and his baler caught the field on fire and spread to our land and knocked out alot of deer habitat. But we still had good pictures this year. My uncle killed two 130-140 bucks with his bow. My brother shot a 160 buck with his rifle. It seemed like the rut never fully kicked in around here, did anybody else have problems with the rut.

16. Dillon

Dillon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have success this year?

17. HoytGirl

HoytGirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Off topic, but thought I'd throw this flyer out to you guys. For those of you that shoot 3D in the off-season, the Wahoo 3D shoot is coming up in March. It's a nice indoor shoot and since I'm a part of Ahamo figured I'd promote it a little ;) Wahoo flyer2014.jpg