Nebraska Muley Spot and Stalk- Film Style Advice

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Gabriel Denzine, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This video is one we did when we were in Nebraska earlier this month. Archery hunting whitetails from a tree is one thing when you're trying to film, and you can do it proficiently solo...

In Nebraska, if I didn't have my girlfriend filming (Her first time ever using the camera), none of this hunt would have been captured. Some things I learned that I would like to share if you plan on doing this.

1. Have a videographer, if you want to self film, by all means try, but it would probably be a go pro angle at best... and might frustrate you if you have to do it alone.

2. Move as a group until need be... In the video, when I shot - she was right at my hip. For stalk purposes there's only about 2 options, keep them on your hip at all times to conceal movement, or keep them back in position to film from a distance. In our scenario, if I would have left her at the truck to film, I don't believe she would have been able to capture any film. But always plan out your stalk method before you actually start the stalk.

3. Bring extra batteries, on the stalk. We did another stalk and right as crunch time came around, our initially planned 45 minute stalk turned into a 3 hour stalk... Camera died right before draw back.

4. Monopod over a tripod. Carrying unnecessary weight is not something you want to do when already lugging around a bunch of camera gear. The monopod was way better for stalking because it's always up with the camera attached. A tripod requires you to fold out all 3 legs and level it up, very hard to do on the fly in a spot and stalk situation, especially when things happen in the blink of an eye...

Hope you guys have luck if you're going out there!

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My brother ran into the same exact issues you did, GoPro and Phone Scope was his best friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk