Neat encounter

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Mar 24, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was out for a walk and as I got to the back property line when a bunch of gobblers let loose. I took off the red knit cap I had on and snuck up to the tree line. About a 1/4 mile away and slightly down hill on the nieghbors was a big group of Toms.. They let loose again so I let out a jake/hen gobble and bounced that wadded up knit cap up and down and back and forth. Well a lead bird saw this and with in a few minutes had the whole group headed my way. I barely made it out of the area without being spotted. I could hear them in my woods as I crossed back over to the house. I may just have to tie up a throw line with red cloth and bounce it off a limb past me during season. It could keep eyes off me for a draw.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ugly damn birds, can't stand them.

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, like flagging pronghorn antelope. Let us know if it works during season. Our Hunter Ed c lasses caution against wearing red or blue during turkey season. Just hope someone doesn't think your red cloth is a gobbler.

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Never near boarders, only in middle of woods besides I Hunt blinds and raised ones at that.. Also along hundreds of yards of solid brush pile fencing. These aren't brush piles but built fencing from brush
    20180907_131631_resized.jpg

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I can't agree ,but if I were to hate a bird it would be the starling.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Got a great video of the 41 bird flock but can't get it on line. Now my you tube account seems to be missing and in trying to get it they set me up in a restricted account ,all my content is missing and they have my full l name on it..a big no no to me and I can't find a way to change any of it. Any ways what a sight. I'll need to switch to pics and maybe I can get some stills to post.

PS:
    Deleting cards did find a couple of stills..this cam is starting to die so date stamp is wrong. 3-24-2019
    blue tub in back ground is a water "bath tub" Everything uses it but freezing water made the plug leak..one more fix to do. steel tub from side of road, hubby just loves when I go on "material searches" One reason I no longer have a truck :cry:..lol

PICT0052 (5).JPG PICT0051 (5).JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    They are really teasing me! One more month to go and there were 41 for an hour in the field next door this a.m. This while a group of 12 were on our land across the street. Then 20 mins ago Right after I told hubby there are a slew more Toms/jakes this year than last, 6 jakes walked past the kitchen window down the drive and across the road to our land. Man I had better have a great season. We had an inch of snow last night and their foot prints and wing drag marks were in several areas in our woods today.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kill them all.

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just hoping for my spring limit of 2 and the fall limit of one. What I'm happy to see is all the work I've been doing these years is showing a lot of results. An increase in all animals. Hubby watched 2 bald eagles hunting the neighbors and our lands this morning. The two major lakes in the valley are still frozen and they cruise the currents to us and hunt the rabbits, turkey, wood chucks and feral cats up here on the hill.