NBA's ban on Sterling... thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by TEmbry, Apr 29, 2014.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Such an interesting event to watch unfold. So many sides to this coin it's hard to come to terms with exactly how I feel about this.

On one hand, I don't agree at all with what he said. Dude is clearly a racist and I can understand why sponsors and employees of the Clippers would not want to be associated with him at the helm.

On the flip side, the man was baited into these comments by his mistress who was 50 years younger than him all the while recording him in his own home having a private conversation. Seems like a slippery slope if we let a scnerario like this be grounds to FORCE a man out of his own company that he owns outright. Un-American all most.

As far as the sale goes, this is what I am most interested with... How can owners of other organizations force a man to sell his own company legally? Seems they could force the Clippers out of the NBA, but to force him to sell the Clippers? Seems backwards to me, regardless of his personal views. Who sets the price in this scenario? Who runs the company now that he is banned from the NBA? Will be interesting to see how this unfolds and if Sterling fights it in court.

I guess personally I feel I agree with the commissioner banning him from being involved with the NBA and the maximum fine allowable of $2.5 million... but to try and strongarm him into selling his own company for a private conversation he had in his own home with his girlfriend... just seems to Russian of a thing to do to me personally.

What are yall's thoughts on this fiasco?

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i find it interesting that it's getting this much attention. he said things that were much tamer then say, al sharpton...that's not to say that what he said was right by any stretch, but it seems like the media is having a slow news week and decided to pick and choose race to spice things up. i dunno...it just doesn't seem like it's as insidious as the media is making it out to be. jm2c.

3. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trevor,

I basically agree with your post. But also keep in mind that Sterling does have a long history of much more egregious acts regarding racism in his business practices.

I think it is in the by-laws of the NBA that the other owners can vote to kick another owner out of the league.

From what I hear the league has wanted to get rid of the guy for a long time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually don't go along with conspiracy theories, but in this case it may be plausible. A mistress, who has lived a dang good life being the mistress of this POS, who by the way bought her a 2.8 million dollar duplex, baits him into saying things in his own home, where he has a reasonable expectation of privacy, into saying some really ignorant comments that she can record. If he is forced to sell, I wonder who will pop to the top of the list and will that person already have a connection to the mistress?

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guy may be a racist, but i feel he was set up pretty hardcore. Ive been trying to listen to the audio of it but takes forever to load!

6. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My understanding of professional sports is the teams are owned franchises of the League they are associated with. I have friends who are franchise owners of restaurants and if they were ever reported and it was proven they were discriminatory in such a manner, they would be forced to sell their restaurants. That being said he was an idiot for not catching on that he was being set up by this wench. It is going to be interesting to see who will be picking up the team and if she will have any connection to the new owners. If so she do her time in hell as well.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah no doubt this isn't the first time he has been associated with such remarks. Nor is it the first time that he has had run ins with NBA execs... Rumor has it that Stern wanted him gone a long time ago but was somewhat afraid of how that might play out in court given Sterling's legal background.

I understand the bylaws state that other owners can force one out... just seems like a slippery slope is all. Who determines the selling price and oversees that sale now that he is no longer allowed to be involved with the organization? What if he sets the price at $4 billion and say fine I'll sell, see y'all in court. Could get interesting...

8. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How does an organization feel they have the right to fine him when they have banned him? He is legally no longer under contract with them. I get what he did/said isnt right but since when does everyone get to tell you how to live or what you can or cant say. Pull his team out of the NBA ok pull sponsorship these are all affects of what he did but how does someone have the right to tell him he cant own his team. I guess its all in the contracts with the NBA but again for all the people to get involved and say he should be in trouble step back and think about how you would feel if you got recorded in your own home against your will.

9. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch it turn out to be Sterling's estranged wife that becomes the new sole owner and the embezzlement suit disappears.

10. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Owners of Franchises are covered under the obligations of the contract he signs when he bought the team.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is Russian for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

12. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Side note...what happens with the players?

14. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, there is a double standard. If your a commie pinko liberal ****** you get to say pretty much whatever you want. That don't make it right. I suspect the white folk pay the vast majority percentage of pay checks in purchasing goods and tickets. I predict an all black league would be a colossal failure.

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Kobe Bryant has been recorded on live TV calling people (derogatory homosexual slur) multiple times and will go down as the 2nd greatest guard to ever play. Loved by millions, first ballot hall of famer. Yet Sterling is illegally recorded in his home and is the devil, banned from the NBA and forced to sell his team. How is this American?

Im glad i dont get recorded all the time...and ive met probably 50-60 members of this site and i can tell you a whole bunch of them are probably happy they arnt recorded either.

(And thats not even getting into Kobe's rape case...)

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Setup...for sure
    Double standards...for sure
    League contract violation...sure
    Infringement on free speech...not unless he's prosecuted
    Selling the team.....depends on the contract specifics

These leagues are dictatorships.

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why do y'all keep asking why this is American? I didn't realize the government is forcing him out?

I can't comment much on this because I have no idea how his contract was structured with the NBA when he bought the team. I'm sure there is certain language in there that states the NBA has final authority. He just owns the Clippers franchise. The NBA is the governing body for that franchise.

18. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    until america gets over the slavery thing, the double standard will go on. since Americans who are black have a vested interest in keeping this thing going on, it will never stop. Other special interest groups from gays to environmentalists have learned the lessons of Sharpton/Jackson and their ilk, they to get to take advantage of this double standard. I call on all Americans to reject this crap by rejecting it on the spot with zeal. lol, not that that will do any good.

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda the same as the Phil Robertson argument we had on here awhile back...your right.

But...do you believe there is a double standard going on here?

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure there is...we all know there is a double standard, but this isn't the first time he has been caught saying inappropriate things.