Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Natural ground blinds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Sep 15, 2024.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At 67, I don't have the same stamina and lung capacity I once had, so I've had to leave the climbing stand behind and hunt from natural ground blinds that I put together. I just can't lug the weight of the stand, daypack, and bow/CB anymore. I realize it can make me more "bustable" being on the ground than from a treestand, but it's the way I have to hunt going forward. I did kill a decent buck (20yrds) two years ago from behind a large fallen tree I used as a blind, so it can work.

I have a few spots where I've set up a blind using fallen branches put together to build somewhat of a wall to sit behind. I make them so the blind blends into the area to look very natural. It is a lot easier, more quiet, and much less movement getting set up, as opposed to having to climb a tree and pull my gear up.
    I put a new ground blind together in June, so deer get used to it being there by the season opener. The 8pt I've been getting on my cams is walking right past it, so he's very used to it being there. I'm very confident in this particular location.

Curious how many other members use natural ground blinds? Also, any tips or suggestions on hunting from natural ground blinds would be appreciated.

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am older than thee and while I'm blessed, so far, to not have any physical limitations, I have been more curious about ground hunting. Really when you think about it, it is the ultimate in being mobile. I like the ideas you have shared and I will probably try some of them this year. One thing that has always bothered me about ground blinds is not being able to see all the way around. But now with the see through blinds, I don't think that would be as much of an issue for me. It sounds to me like you've really got it figured out.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If possible setup in an elevated position on a hill or some rise in the terrain, I made a natural blind in a huge crp field on a rise in Ohio and if the right deer came by I woulda been in the chips. Just watch the thermals they’ll get you even more from the ground. Try and stack as much in your favor, elevation if possible, by a pinch wether it’s an obstruction or a crossing and have a good backdrop. I hunted exclusively from the ground for the first 6 years of my archery endeavors. Messed up a lot but it taught me a ton about deer and getting close.

early in and pastorjim08 like this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love your advice about the thermals.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 and early in like this.
  5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a tree stand guy... pack it in/out every hunt .. LW Alpha II/4 Skeletor sticks and gear/bow.. aprox 35-42 lbs depending on weather ... btw I'll be 67 in Feb .... I stay in shape, always have/runner since 1977 ... I refuse to let age beat me...

nothing wrong with a good ground blind or a commercial blind, but those have to be set waaaay ahead of time, and on state land where I hunt, commercial ground blinds are not feasible ... the crossgun guys just sit their asses down where ever they can ......

6. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice right here. That's exactly what I've done with my newest ground blind. I'm on a slight hill, looking down with very thick brush immediately behind me for a concealed backdrop. It's in a fairly tight funnel-like hollow situation where I've seen, on cam, my target buck come through from both directions. Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Suncrest08 likes this.
  7. early in

Dislikes Received:
    So do I. That's why I adapt to my situation and continue to hunt whitetails. :biggrin:

0317, Suncrest08 and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are the greatest 0317. Hooray for you.

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    your correct ... Thank you ......... :hail: your just so jealous ya cant be like me .... :woot:.... :lmao2:

10. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep you are right again. You always are. You're perfect. :poke:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024
  11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yup, I am ..... well close to it ..... at least I keep telling my girlfriend that ........ :eek2:

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I spent the first 6-7 years of my bowhunting life hunting mainly from the ground simply because I didn't have any treestands. I killed a handful of deer this way. I loved hunting off the ground - its a lot more exhilarating and you're free to move around and try different spots from sit to sit. No going to the same place over and over again. I never did anything too special - usually just got into a deadfall or up against a big tree that provided some cover.

With that said, when ages catches up to me I have zero issues hunting out of portable pop-up blinds. They work great if you put them out early, and they can be very comfortable to hunt from. Visibility and shooting options suffer, but it is what it is. I do enjoy being able to run the little buddy heater and move around a bit more in those things as I get older. :lol:

13. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got into hunting from the ground. Natural blinds on public land. Ground blind on private. I need to give the credit to The Hunting Public for giving me the confidence to go out and give natural blinds a shot. It is a lot of fun. Play the wind and pick your spot. A doe at sub-10 yards from the ground had me shaking. It is a different kind of feeling. Hope to put a buck down like this one day.

14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    That's great. Having a deer at close range, on your same level makes the encounter that much more intense. You won't get away with certain things you would if you were 20'-25' in the air, though.

15. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You certainly don't get away with much. That is what makes it so much more intense.

early in likes this.
  16. early in

Dislikes Received:
    This is four weeks in a row this 8pt (a still from video) has come past this cam, which is only 15 yrds from my ground blind. He's come through this same area a total 6 times between my two cams during that time period. Last week he came through on 9/11 @4:52pm, 9/12 @12:25pm, and 9/14 @5:27pm. He's more regular than any buck I've gotten on my cams. Of the six visits, three of them were around the 5:00pm time frame, within half an hour. I'm expecting my best chance will be during an afternoon/evening sit.

Attached Files:

Bone Head Hunter and camo75 like this.
  17. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t know how you guys do it but I get really bored in blinds, even natural cover blinds. Up 20’ and I'm good to go. Not sure why because I have shot a few out of blinds and that part is great.

jgaudiojr likes this.
  18. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I hear what you're saying. You lose a lot of the 360 visibility that a tree stand offers, no doubt. I do miss hunting from my LW sit and climb.

19. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I hope you have a lot more wonderful hunts even if they’re from the ground. If we’re lucky we will see pics of that nice buck. Sounds like you have a good watch on him!!

Bone Head Hunter and early in like this.
  20. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well you guys know I love my ground blinds and brush pile fencing. Just sitting still up against a brush pile fence can hide you well

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024
    early in likes this.