"Natural food plots"

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by flystraightandtrue, Dec 3, 2011.

1. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. I've been planting food plots for quite a few years now and this past year started some "forest" management on a property I hunt. We select cut about 40 acres of mature hardwoods last winter, then an old bedding area that has become mature I began hinge cutting to create bedding cover once again. I made some mistakes I'll learn from but the forest management now in my opinion is more important than food plots. I'll continue to put in the food plots but I'm going to evolve the forest management and have high expectations in the future. I'll try to post some pics of what I've been doing in the future.

3. MN_Whitetail

MN_Whitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started looking into other types of management this year. Will not be able to capitalize on it completley until I own the property, but great video. Thanks for sharing that with us.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just getting into this. This was my first year doing food plots, 4 of them. I limed them in the spring then fertilized in Aug. (12th) and planted oats. It made a super difference and I can't wait to try new things.

5. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have been doing this for several years. Great success. 40 acres, have 5 acres in food plots, however have been hinge cutting and developing the woods to improve the as they call it biological desert. Results speak for themselves. 7 mature bucks taken on property in the last 4 years, prior to 2007 there had only been 1 mature buck ever taken on the property. I have no doubt creating bedding and food cover insode the woods along with sanctuaries (stress free enviroment) have been the ticket!

get wild about whitetails! I am!