NAP Quickfletch Quickspins VS Blazer Veins as promised.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Sticknstringarchery, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As I said I would do last night in a post, I have. I bought a six pack of Beman ICS Speed arrows. These arrows have Blazers installed from the factory but, if you have read any recent post about the NAP Quickfletch you know that I am a huge fan of them. So much that I stripped the arrows of their Blazers, floated the shafts and installed NAP Quickfletch this morning. I only did three this time and one of the reasons I bought pre-fletched arrows was A. I received a gift card from my mother in-law to Bass Pro (not a huge fan of the place but hey its better than socks) B. I really wanted to compare a good arrow with both Blazers and NAP Quickfletch. My personal preference is the Quickspin version. I have shot both Quickspin and the Twister (actually still have some old arrows that have the Twisters on them) and have felt they both improved my groups so you can’t lose either way.

I started off with six Beman ICS Speed 400 7.4 gpi arrows that all had Blazer veins installed from the factory.
    [​IMG]
    I stripped the factory veins off of three of them and installed NAP Quickfletch Quickspins. I left three with the factory so that I could shoot and compare. I did do one extra step. Since I was stripping these and they are my personal arrows, I floated the shafts. Those of you who do not know, this is similar to balancing the tires on a car. You put them in a tub of water and spin them. The heavy side will stay towards the bottom. You mark the arrows and install the fletching the same way. I do mine odd fletching up and heavy side down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am shooting them out of my old PSE bow set at 65lb. The arrows are 28-1/2”. The bow is set up with a NAP Apache drop away rest. They set up shot through the Chronograph at 285 fps so the speeds are right there with most of today’s newer bows.
    Please excuse my shooting. I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet nor had my must have cup of coffee at this point. Apparently the bow is a little off after that whack on the tree on the way down yesterday.
    I started out at 20yd then 30 then 40yd. I started taking pics to compare moving back in from 40yd out. The pictures are in order from 20yd then 30yd then 40yd. If you can’t tell the blazers are the ones on the right and the NAP Quickfletch Quickspins are the ones on the left. I shot the Blazers first on every set. So here are the results.
    20yd:
    [​IMG]

30yd:
    [​IMG]

40yd:
    [​IMG]
    You be the judge. All these were shot one set right after the other, with no break between the sets. As you can see the NAP Quickfletch do in fact help tighten groups. It’s not just a marketing claim, it’s true. Top it off with taking about 30 minutes or less to strip and fletch an entire dozen arrows and half that time with bare shafts. Then add to that you are ready to shoot them after they cool, what’s not to like about them. Give them a try, you will not be disappointed unless you still like fletching your own arrows.

2. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great write up, and nice photo's too! Thank you for taking the time to share this test with everyone. You have made a believer out of me.......I look forward to trying these out! Simple and effective. What's not to like about that? Have a safe, healthy and enjoyable New Year!

3. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well done man, i too love my quik fletches.. but i also love the blazers that came on my new arrows.. when i end up getting bare shafts, quik fletches will go on them for sure..

4. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do you guys know if the quik fletching with "Bowhunting.com" can be purchased?

5. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure about Bowhunting.com versions. Maybe Justin will chime in on this one. I would like some mysef. I'll probably end up doing at least 2 dozen maybe 4 dozen depending on what my wife ends up shooting this coming year.

6. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First, I need to invest in a drop away, because they do not fly well out of my whisker biscuit on the z7

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

7. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Thats odd, are you sure it is tuned correctly? Have you paper tuned it? I was playing around later today and put a WB on my bow (thats the rest I am selling it with tomorrow hopefully fingers crossed) and was driving tacks with it until I started getting fatigued. Almost had a Robbin hood 2nd shot. I had eaten something by then and had caffine. lol The bow is shooting bullet holes with the WB though. A drop away is the way to go but they will fly right out of a WB if the bow is tuned right.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    odd.... yes my bow is paper tuned to the WB.. seems like the my arrows are wobbling

9. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice write up and great photos. They are (IMO) the best vanes. If I were to stop shooting feathers and switch back to vanes these would be what I would shoot. They are rugged and have that extra little bit of drag to help stabilize the arrow.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure you haven't bumped the rest or anything since paper tuned? What about the spine? They are not too light for your weight are ther? Just trying to figure out why they would be doing that. My brothers was but, it was because the right lower vein was hitting the riser just a touch. fixed that and the problem was solved.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  11. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's kinda a 'known issue' - with quick spins and WB's (least it was several years ago).... I've seen weird arrow flight myself (out of multiple setups). My understanding was it was being caused by the 'lip' on the vane of the quick spins hitting the whiskers of the biscuit - causing the odd movement... If your going to shoot quick spins think you'll probably be happier with a drop away. Another option would be getting a pack of the Twisters and see if they fly any better out of your setup.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  12. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, that's what i was thinking the reason was.. my blazers shoot perfect out of whisker because there's no "lip"

13. southern

southern Newb

Dislikes Received:
    great review and thanks for takin time to write it.

14. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Nice job. I may have to look into the quick fletch version as I've been fletching individual Quick spin speed hunters for a few years I think. I know they fly as loud as feathers, but they spin like no other and stabilize 3 blade muzzy and 3 blade thunderheads no problem. Before quick spins I always needed a 4" vane or feather to get my fixed blades really dialed in. I haven't shot Blazers to know how they are though.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I did this test with field points. I still have 3 done with each and I am going to be changing arrows I shoot in a month or so. Don't laugh at me but, I am going to be using PINK yes PINK Victory arrows. I want to do something to support cancer research. I know it is supporting breast cancer and my life long best friend had leukemia 2 times now (just had his one year birthday of his marrow transplant) but, I want to show my support for the fight against cancer in my bow hunting and 3D shooting. I wish someone would make solid Orange arrows to support leukemia. I may do orange NAP QF QS on the Pink shafts.

Anyways, I will keep these as they are and test with 3 blade Thunderheads and Muzzy MX 4's.

I know that with the NAP Quickfletch Quickspins the Thunderheads and MX4's POI were exactly the same. I shot the Thunderhead first then cut one of the veins off with the MX4.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great review and really you just clinched it for me....trying Quickfletch QS this spring!

17. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait, wait, wait. Are you supporting the cancer or the cancer research? ;)

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    The research of course. lol I corrected it. thanks for pointing that one out.

19. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    When I did this, I had no idea what the outcome was going to be as I had never shot Bohnings Blazer brand veins. I have shot 2" "Blazer style" veins but not the actual Bohning brand. I have fletches about 3 dozen arrows with NAP Quickfletch for me, my brother and my wife over the past years and have of course shot them a lot. I have liked them since I bought the first pack. If Bohning Blazers would have shot better, I would be learning how to wrap and fletch the old way using Bohning Blazer brand veins or would have bought their product that is similar to the QF's. After all they are about $10.00 cheaper per half dozen.

20. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot wait to get some of these on my arrows.