NAP Apache CARBON Review!!

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Sticknstringarchery, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I finally got my bow set up and have finally been able to shoot it some. As most know, my last bow had a NAP Apache original on it. I really liked it, a whole lot actually. I bought it with the intentions of transplanting it to my next bow. Well, there was a slight problem with that. The original will not fit on the 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element. This wasn’t good. There wasn’t another rest out there I wanted. I was lost and didn’t know what rest I would be using. I kept going back and forth, until I heard of the new for 2012 NAP Apache CARBON. After reading a little about it and the differences in it and the original, I was ready to get one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it arrived I couldn’t wait to get it out of the package and when I did, the first thing I noticed was the weight or should I say the lack thereof. This thing was super light. The next thing I notice was the size. NAP did away with the tooless design in what appears to be an attempt and a successful one, to lose some weight and a lot of size. It worked. Yes, you give up the tooless ease of adjustment but, it is more than worth it to be able to use it on the Element. NAP did a great job on the placement of the adjustment screws. The way the Element is made, it is nearly impossible to access the installation went as easy as any rest I have installed. And adjusting it was just as easy as any other also. The best part was, I didn’t have to buy another type rest. The fit it perfect and tight. NAP did a great job getting this one to fit the Hoyt Carbon Element. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now let’s talk groups. Here is my set up: 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element set at 63lb, 29” draw length. I am shooting an Apex Gear Nitrus 6 pin, 8” NAP Stabilizer and the NAP Apache CARBON rest. 20yds was tight as I expected it to be. 30yd looked just like 20yd. Now we are starting to get into pretty impressive groups. Keep in mind these wear while I am setting up the bow and sighting in. I had not shot the bow anywhere except the inside of the shop. This is the first time I have used this particular rest also. I stepped back to 40yds and WOW!! 3 arrows in less than 3” group and two were touching. I backed up to 50yd and the first group busted a brand new Beman ICS speed arrow. That’s why I do not shoot groups any more. Oh well that’s part of archery. 60yd was just as impressive and 70yd well, you can see in the picture below. Note: The 50yd, 60yd and 70yd first shots as I was sighting the bow. I have not fine tuned the pins as it was starting to rain.

This was the first shot after leaving the pro shop today. The very first shot outside of the shop at 20yd.
    [​IMG]

40yd because 30yd looked almost identical I didn't worry about pictures.
    [​IMG]

50yd this was my second set. I busted an arrow on the first group.
    [​IMG]

60yd
    [​IMG]

70yd
    [​IMG]

Sound? What sound? This thing is dead quiet. You can manually drop the arm and can tell a difference. I am guessing it is do to the sound absorbing properties of the carbon fiber and yes the outer ring (for lack of a better word) is in fact true carbon fiber construction.

It is a little easier to load an arrow in this new design. I heard a few people complain about the top load of the original Apache. Personally I didn't see it to be a big enough deal to complain about it. I always loaded it and then nocked it. No big deal. Well, I guess enough of the original customers complained and whined enough to NAP to address this "issue". I can say that I do enjoy the side load on it. It is just like loading a whisker biscuit. Nock and load now!! Another nice feature about the new NAP Apache CARBON is on the opening to load the arrow, NAP covered it with rubber. This eliminates any sound if loading an arrow with your quarry in close proximity if need be.

Super light, easy to install, easy to adjust, accurate, simple and reliable and dead quiet. What more could you ask for in a rest. Bottom line is, if you liked the original NAP Apache, you will absolutely love the NAP Apache CARBON rest. I am more than happy with it and glad I was able to get it. Oh and I still have the old one. It is on my wife’s bow. If you like the way it looks on line, buy it!! You will not regret it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Arkansas countryboy

Arkansas countryboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review! How much was it?

3. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great review! I think this is the rest that will be going on my Heli-M also.

4. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Apache! The thing I'm most jealous about yours over mine is......... The black string! It's the only part of my accessories besides the pins on the sights that isn't black! Looks awesome and those are impressive groupings. Nice buy!

5. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Retail on the NAP website is $119.99.

6. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I just realized I forgot to mention the side load feature. Instead of loading from the top like the Original and the micro, this one loads from the side. I never had an issue with this on the original but, having it now makes me realize how much easier it is.

I edited it now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cool! btw, you need a new bag!

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! I just got my Carbon Apache set up on my Heli-M last night. Only shot at 20 yards, but it was tuned and shooting bulls eyes within about 10 minutes of install. Dead quiet, easy to adjust, rock solid, and accurate. What else can you want in a rest?

:tu:

9. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sticks...Didn't you also review the Revolution arrow rest? What was the advantages of using the NAP than the Trophy Ridge?

10. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good review sticks. to bad I just bought the original apache a week ago, probably should have went straight to this one. I love the thing so I probably won't return it, but you have got me thinking about it

11. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice rest. I love my apache but I like the cutout on the side alot better than on top. I wish I had waited for this one now but just the same they make great rests.

12. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Great review!

13. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very in-depth review. Nice work! I want one now...:sad:

14. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    To compare in my opinion: The NAP Apache CARBON is much quieter, it is more simple to me that means way less to go wrong, lighter, better quality construction, tougher I mean after all the Apache CARBON is made from Carbon fiber and not ABS plastic type material.

On the other hand, the Revolution is less than half the price. Actually it cost $49.99 + tax. For the money the Revolution is a nice rest. I wouldn't take anything from it.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Its a done deal for me Justin. I have two Apaches now and if I ever buy another rest, it will be an Apache. If anyone ever ask what rest I would recommend, I always suggest this one first.

16. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to find a cover for this one. I think it has taken in the neighborhood of 8,000+ shots. :lol:

17. pinstripes

pinstripes Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Stickns, Did you slide the cord thru the buss cable or tie a dloop knot? Thanks

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Split the cable, put it through, burned a ball on the end of it and served it in. Worked great.

19. Jbc3902

Jbc3902 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to add this rest is honestly unreal. I have never setup any bow or any sight. Spent maybe 5 shots doing what I assume was paper tuning, then did a walkback tune at 15,20,25yds. Here was the results
    papertune.jpg
    walkback.jpg

Then again it could just be that the new Easton Injexion arrows are the greatest arrow in the world:lol:

20. fornelli

fornelli Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you buy the rest? I searched a couple days ago and didn't find it online, and my local shop hadn't even heard of it. They're going to see if they can order it for me since they deal with NAP anyway, but I'm wanting to make sure the price isn't too out of line.