My thoughts and experiences with Mock Scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by shed, Jun 21, 2011.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually yes I also save bladder urine when I gut.
    Now with all that and the stuff on the market, there was only one tried and true lure I had years ago and wish I still did. A goat herd. Man! my goat herd brought in deer and held them like nothing else and the rutty buck you could smell a mile away. I had all kinds of bucks checking things out. If feed wasn't so expensive I'd get a couple again.
    I recommend anyone near a goat herd ask the owners if you could get a buck rag. Cloth band around their belly or their neck that hangs down the chest. See a rutting goat buck frequently urinate in its own mouth. That's why they smell so rank.

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made a couple scrapes yesterday. Yes I know it’s April. I will probably make two more as time allows.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. Justin Goins

Justin Goins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any activity on your scrapes yet @Westfinger
    Do you have a trail camera set up over this scrape? Thought about making two or three mock scrapes this weekend.

4. HancockCountyIL

HancockCountyIL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice, well done!

5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll give an update when I check them. I have cameras on them and will be pulling those cards in the next week or so.

virginiashadow likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got around to pulling cards. I couldn't get one of the cameras off the tree due to the lock but the other three were used almost immediately and have been used consistently. I will definitely make a couple more and place them in heavily travelled areas within bow range of a stand. Very pleased with the results so far.

7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took a couple screen shots from the videos from today’s card pull. No giants but it’s getting used regularly.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

slickbilly-d likes this.
  9. Josh Duncan

Josh Duncan Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We start making them in early August. We use our buck synthetic and preorbital synthetic. Have always had excellent results for cataloging bucks and watching them grow antlers. This year we also made a mock scrape spray to make it easier for people. It also worked very well.

I switched to cellular cams (well, the Spypoint is barely a cell cam, but the Reveal works well). Yeah, I am an addict.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday when I was out in an area I never go ,a town, I hit Wal-Mart. Of course I had to check out any hunting sales. Not as many as I'd hoped for. That said I found tinks synthetic scrape starter . Each pack has two bottles and a dial dripper. Regularly 17+ marked down to 5.49. Hey it's synthetic no freeze...how bad can it get before season? At that price you can't go wrong. I still get the drippers. Got a couple and a single bottle for 3. 00.

IMG_20220225_144611_hdr.jpg

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I forgot I. Bought all of that... along with....where I put it.
    10 more days and O get to go hunt doe. I said I wasn't putting gout cams u til season unless for trespassers. Well I nave not seen but a couple of deer all summer. I need tofu d out what the doe are doing and when. I put one cam on bean/ weed plot last night. Morning and midnight movement past two sit areas ,one stand one ground blind. Also one nice young 8 with the midnight group.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bump for being mentioned

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is pure gold…

15. HuntingWesternMass1

HuntingWesternMass1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fantastic read. Will be trying it here in Massachusetts and let you know how it goes. How soon before the rut would you start these?

16. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS THREAD BEFORE?!

17. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a thread. Was just talking to my huntin buddy today about learning how to use mock scrapes in the summer months to draw in the daylight buck photos. Read, re-read and will read again, then heading out on a historical scrape I know of on this large public parcel. If the scrapes look to have been frequented during the recent months, I will over-mark and jump back into this thread on how it's going. Thanks for the write-up Shed..12 years later, nonetheless.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    The scrape I opened last year that never got hit, is to date a foot deep now. All I did to it this spring was bent the over hanging beech branch over it to make it easier to reach and I loosened soil and removed rocks/stones. Of course this is 15 yrds off the inside down hill corner of the farmers corn field and on an old logging road thats a bit over grown. Turkey first hit it but now there are deer foot prints and hoof drags.

19. Chase

Chase Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

2 seasons back, I found a tore up scrape line that went about 40-60 yards in length in a saddle on an old logging road. Last year, MDC went in and cut the road again. Not sure why, but they did so in early Oct, so I left it alone and hunted the nearby ridges without luck but scouted the cut road post season. Sure enough, those old scrapes had been worked over and found new rubs with the historicals. Gut tells me the bigger buck that was there in 2021 isn't there anymore but a new young guy showed up. Giving the over-marking a go there to see what I can't get a photo of at the very least.

oldnotdead likes this.