My thoughts and experiences with Mock Scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by shed, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I found this thread a little late this year but I just went out today to start my first one and we will see how it works. Thanks for the great read.

2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow how did i miss this thread before? I was scouting today and believe that I found a community scrape, i will be hanging a stand tomorrow afternoon

3. NickS

NickS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info I'm going to try this, this year

4. JungleJoe

JungleJoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Jameson ' s Ultra Blend website for a bunch of good baits and lures. I use his trailing scent and some unscented tampons (don't judge me, they work) to scent my mock scrapes..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

5. rhettmaxwell

rhettmaxwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Having a little bit of success already. Thanks

6. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too late, I judged you.

I like the felt tabs you get. I really like them with our synthetic scents because you can take them down and put them in a plastic bag and reuse them.

7. JungleJoe

JungleJoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unscented tampons are a good cheap alternative too! I love looking like I'm a caring husband when purchasing, when in reality I'm buying them for my mistress, deer hunting...haha

Sent from my SM-N900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. stempel

stempel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent information! I appreciate the terms prefacing at the beginning. Really helps clear things up.

9. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can I hunt a mock scrape the same day I make it if I take every precaution for scent or am I better off waiting? I hunt public land in Maryland and I’d hate to spend the money on one and have it stolen plus the stare requires that you set up and take down the same day.
    Thanks!

10. Uncle Bucky

Uncle Bucky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    good read.... I have used Harmons Buck Scrape since 2005. It has been the one thing that has actually worked every year.

11. EastTXBowhunter

EastTXBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great read with great info! I have tried to build mock scrapes on a couple of occasions but didn’t have any luck, due to my lack of knowledge undoubtedly. Armed with this great info I’m going to give it another go! Thanks for sharing!

12. Dropshot2009

Dropshot2009 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This has some great information! Last year was my first year with mock scrapes, making 2 of them at different locations. Both used Code Blue tarsal gland on the licking branch and code blue urine in the soil. One scrape got hit like a truck and the licking branch actually got twisted really bad and the other scrape was never touched. Never did actually see a deer from the stand over looking the scrape that was hit though but it was pretty cool seeing them take to it like that

13. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a sceptic on store scents. Sure this beginning post about scrapes did not have a vested interest in the Buck Fever company? There was an Outdoor show in Mich years ago where the host experimented with scent products in scrapes with cameras and used human pee. He got more action with the human pee. Supposedly all urine smells about the same. Scent companies sued the host and bankrupted him I think., Put his show off the air. Shame.,.He was a nice guy. I have tried my own scrapes with little success ..Deer seem to have their OWN ideas on where they want them. I do have a couple that seem to be used every year. Where several trails cross. Community scrapes as has been suggested. With the licking branches. It cant hurt to try new ones and definitely good to spruce up exisiting ones, but as stated. Becareful with leaving human scent.

15. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All Urine, regardless if its human vs deer, turns to ammonia in minutes ... I wouldn't be worried about spooking deer with Pee. Its been proven that that is one of the biggest myths in the hunting.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  16. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are correct. I always wonder just what is in all the artificial lures. Forehead gland,,pre orbital,,etc. How do they do all the research required to match a wild animal? How much of it is snake oil?

17. Joel Gher

Joel Gher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried several brands of scent over the years and monitored them with trail cams. What I haven't found is that the scent doesn't increase the amount of buck activity to the scrape. Save your money and don't buy it.
    I believe having the right location is half the battle. The rest of the equation is having the licking branch about 3-4' off the ground and loose soil under it with no sticks or other debris.
    I tried using hemp rope for mock scrapes a few years ago and couldn't believe the results. If you want to learn more on hemp rope scrapes, I wrote a blog on my website. https://whitetailpropertydesign.com/hemp-rope-for-mock-scrapes-and-mature-buck-patterning/

18. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my that just triggered a memory! Lol hubby and I having drinks with a work acquaintance and his wife years ago, all of us hunters. Yep there is such a thing as "Too much sharing!" Though, she had some real nice buck taken. ..

I just cut out tarsals of both buck and doe and the fur around the does " back side" then ziplock and vacc seal the zip lock. Then freeze before even hanging them. These are hung and or buried in next season scrapes.

19. lone

lone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard about using rope but I think I’ll give it a try this March. Can’t hurt a thing

20. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Notice a difference in activity? I've thought the same thing but never tried.