My thoughts and experiences with Mock Scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by shed, Jun 21, 2011.

1. OntarioOutdoorsman

OntarioOutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To one side the creek and a field are, with about 10 yards of trees before opening into the creek and soy field. On the other side there is probably 25-30 yards of bush before a trail about 10 ft in width. There is one point where there is some decent bush cover to one side but to the other side it is mainly field the entire way along into the next property. I tend to stay out of there because it is a key travel corridor for deer, but in my experience we have only found a couple tree rubs along the ridge. One that I remember was quite a large tree that was ripped up but no ground scrapes. Is that where a mock scrape would be good idea shed?

2. OntarioOutdoorsman

OntarioOutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And by stay out I tend to mean I havnt set up a stand location in it because it is a small ridge and most of the trees along it are too small for a treestand. There is one though that could work out well that is on the field edge about 15 yards from the ridge overlooking it. I just worry about cutting the bush and making it a little too open with a couple shooting lanes that the deer start shying away from it because it has such minimal brush coverage on the one side.

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could you post a topo and an aerial map to show what you look for before going out on foot?

4. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shed, thanks for an exhaustively researched, comprehensive treatment of the subject! Well-written as well.
    Is there a trend- morning or evening- when you have most observed or had the best luck harvesting a buck at one of your scrapes?
    Thanks!
    Dan

5. cavscout263

cavscout263 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the awesome article. I am definitely going to print that out and add it to my deer hunting journal. I am going to try my hand at making these scrapes. My only question SHED is when is the earliest that I can make one and then I am some what new and find it hard where to put them. I walk through all the time looking for the scrapes that Tue deer make themselves but never find them or notice them?

6. cavscout263

cavscout263 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also what is your feelings on tinks mock scrape products?

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever tried to put a mock scrape next to a mineral site? Does it work or is that unnatural for deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was some great reading. Thank you for the education sir.

9. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have recently heard of guys uriinating on their mock scrapes. My first assumption is that human urine will scare deer rather than attract them.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Denver's Outdoor

Denver's Outdoor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would not do that. If anything a mock scrape with out any urine would be better. Especially during the rut. Opinions vary on synthetic vs natural. What I would t use would be a natural product that has preservatives. Some may argue the synthetic dosent have an unnatural smell, but with a deer being able to differentiate between 6 different smells at one time I wouldn't take the chance. I believe the thread started said he liked them because they didn't lose their smell. That's one way to look at it or you could look at it from a natural point of view. If you use a fresh natural dominant buck urine the smell would fade away like it does on a natural scrape. It still retains on odor and will still challenge the big boys in your area. Hope this helps.

11. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used mock scrapes myself. they work. but the only way i see that it will work. if the mature buck scrapes and rubs for its own territory naturally. some areas that i hunt in the upper Midwest. barely a scrape and some small twig rubs. But on my moutrie cams. there are big bucks roaming. But some do and don't respond to mock scrapes.

12. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bump ttt

13. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bump I've been tending a mock scrape and over marking a community scrape since july. I'm hooked. Followed everything I read on here and the results are showing. Awesome setting your cams to video and seeing what they do at these scrapes. Thank you shed awesome info!!!

14. mikeyschmidty1

mikeyschmidty1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mock scrapes should be put in travel corridores like at the bottom of ridges where trails meet and things like that you shouldnt sit on a scrape because he will be using his nose alot you should sit inbetween scrapes or between a bedding area and a scrape also how to make them i just use buck scent scrape hard about a 3 feet by 3 feet patch of dirt with my boot and just pee a little bit dont unload your blatter because a buck wouldnt do that in the patch of dirt but i make sure its under a licking branch about 4-6 feet off the ground and i spray some buck urine on the branch

15. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been peeing in mock scrapes with no ill effects for a decade. In fact, I usually gulp down some extra water before heading out to check my cameras, just to make sure I can "freshen up" some scrapes.

The only time I don't do this, is after a night of hard drinking, or consuming lots of garlic/onion.

I still however use a scrape based scent to establish a licking branch, when first creating my mock scrapes. Once established, save money, and use your pee.

ALL of the scrapes shown in the pictures below, had been urinated by me with 48 hours prior to the picture being taken.

Bruiser 10-25-15.JPG

Verizon 2.JPG

16. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been peeing in mock scrapes with no ill effects for a decade. In fact, I usually gulp down some extra water before heading out to check my cameras, just to make sure I can "freshen up" some scrapes.

The only time I don't do this, is after a night of hard drinking, or consuming lots of garlic/onion.

I still however use a scrape based scent to establish a licking branch, when first creating my mock scrapes. Once established, save money, and use your pee.

ALL of the scrapes shown in the pictures below, had been urinated by me with 48 hours prior to the picture being taken.

View attachment 63118

View attachment 63119

PICT0090.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

17. clickenter

clickenter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow ! It is so beautiful

18. yennhikorea

yennhikorea Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, i agree with you

19. jwork

jwork Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff and Thanks. This is the one thing I am wanting to do this year and for the same reasons you stated. I hunt public land with no food plots. Mostly big mountains. Been researching it a lot, just waiting on the scents to get here and it's go time. Thanks again

20. PureBred

PureBred Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What scents are you using!?