My son asked a question...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Sep 24, 2019.

1. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I don’t know him or what he does from a box of crayons. I don’t care if he is on TV, has a podcast, or is a “YouTube star”. If he is, I don’t know if he takes handouts from manufacturers or shows uncut footage. My comment was not aimed at him. I made no comment directly toward or against him.

I’m merely pointing out the fact that the TV shows, show you nothing more or less than what they want to. To think that the one that you like is beyond reproach or corruption is blatantly ignorant.

It is a KNOWN fact that athletes, musicians, actors, etc.. all make the bulk of their money off of brandishing items. The bulk of money made on TV is from advertisements. Sponsors and advertisers dictate everything they do.

I don’t appreciate the hostile attitude and the blank threat made toward me.

All hail the Hypno-Toad!

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You addressed him directly with the reply you wrote in the first quote. The guys on the Bowhunt or Die show do not fit any of these descriptions you have offered, particularly Justin. Hence, my comment about you being new here and needing to figure out who people are and how things run around here. We, being the long time members, have zero tolerance for this kind of snarky attitude. Believe it, or not, I am trying to help you make your way in this community since you are new. You won't last long around here with that attitude. There is nothing wrong you having an opinion that differs from others. Just be respectful in how you communicate it.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are now a man.... Welcome

GregH, wl704 and cantexian like this.
  4. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, you’re going to go out of your way to defend a guy, who was never called out in any way shape or form to begin with. A guy who you flat out have declared, you do not know other than as a guy you have small conversations with across the Internet and watch on your personal Rot box.

I had no idea who he was or what he did when I replied to his comment. Nor do I really know anything about him now. It had no basis in my reply to his comment

And you’re going to get nasty with another individual you don’t know. Because they suggest that maybe everything you see and hear on the internet, or on your RotBox is possibly not 100% true and authentic?

Sir, with all due respect. This is how we got “Flat Earthers”.

Again. I made no statement toward him. Just the speculation that maybe these companies making big bucks use these shows as nothing more than pure advertisement and entertainment? It’s not very entertaining watching a dude sit on a bucket in a ground blind for 8 hours and then realize he forgot a piece of equipment. And it isn’t going to sell a lot of equipment or even pay for the show.

“They can’t put anything that isn’t true on the internet!”

“Where did you hear that?”

“The internet”

Again. Take everything you read, hear, and see on the internet or on video with a grain of salt. If not a brick of it.

Maybe his show is honest. Maybe it’s not. We won’t ever really know. They wouldn’t tell us if it weren’t. Take it for what it is. Entertainment.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Justin is a jerk.... I am the head of his fan club and he has only come to one meeting, and at said meeting he stole all the bologna sandwiches and squirted tinks at it us screamed " I hunt public now" and left.

6. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All happen to be very good bow tuners.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed it for ya

cantexian and Fix like this.
  8. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they are all just shooting rage broadheads?? lol Just Kidding!

Between2Bluffs likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And shot/shoot at a competitive level...

Between2Bluffs likes this.
  10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It took longer than expected but I knew I would make if I tried hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

wl704 likes this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sota runs the meetings, I only get to bring snacks

Swamp Stalker, cantexian and wl704 like this.
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

cantexian likes this.
  13. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So you have sota and snacks! Can I bring the venison I killed with my Lone Wolf Stand, rage broadhead, Matthews bow, and scent lock suit?:chewy:

cantexian likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Because I've been doing this for the last 15 years, have first-hand knowledge of how these programs work and personally know many of the people involved in this industry.

:lol: Imagine away because I can tell you the amount of people making that kind of money from any given sponsor is very, very small.

There's some measure of truth to this, but this typically only applies to the small people who are trying to "make it". The ones who want to be on every "field staff" they can get on and are willing to do and say anything to make that happen. The nice thing is, those people are usually pretty easy to spot.

Once you've reached a certain status of success and notoriety you don't need to peddle every product that's thrown your way. So, if anything, I would say the bigger the personality the more discerning they are about the products they choose to use and the brands they associate with.

And if a product flat out sucks, doesn't work, or would hinder your ability to hunt and kill animals why would anyone use it? Regardless of what someone is paying you, if the product won't kill animals it inhibits your ability to create good content and make more money. No dead animals = no sponsorship dollars.

At this point we're WAY off the topic of this original thread. In response to the original question, I ask this:

[​IMG]

cantexian likes this.
  15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeh dead. very dead...That's not my point. I didn't say anything was ill about it. I just have noticed less pass thrus in recent years. Somehow this got turned into a pissing match and that wasn't the point of the thread. I just noticed when he asked me why?

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think the answer is relatively simple - lighter arrows and bigger broadheads. As Skywalker pointed out - you often trade penetration for larger holes. I would also blame the phenomenon of "correct opening" mechanical heads like Rage and Killzone. Those heads create massive entry holes but also take up a ton of energy on impact, which inhibits their penetration. For my money, an "over the top" head like a Spitfire or Grim Reaper is a much better option that creates massive holes and penetrates darn near as well as a fixed blade.

I also believe it's not as prevalent as we believe it is. A few years back we ran through this topic in the Bowhunt or Die forum as people were saying we "never" got pass thru shots. I want back and watched every shot from that season and found that the vast majority of them were indeed pass thru shots. While not every one blew through the animal and buried in the ground on the other side, the vast majority of them left both and entry and exit hole, which is a pass thru shot in my book.

Here's my reply, with numbers, in the original thread: Penetration

Confirmation bias or Frequency Illusion are possible causes for why a lot of people believe this is happening all the time, when in fact it's not. Frequency Illusion basically says that once we notice something happening we tend to start noticing it seemingly everywhere. So you see that first non-pass thru shot on a video and then start noticing that almost every shot looks like that.

Vabowman likes this.
  17. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think some of it has to do with the length of the shots they are taking. I hear them saying 45 and longer. Most of us won’t shoot anything over 35.

Vabowman likes this.
  18. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin you have a point

NMGuy likes this.
  19. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it boils down to two potential answers, and probably some of both. Low kenetic energy (obviously) from either light arrows or slow arrows, or (and I think more likely) It's because of the wide cutting diameter of the heads. One or maybe two ribs is no big deal, but you spread that head out over three ribs and that's a lot to ask. I'd be pretty confident betting that in the cases you saw they were using large cut (2 inch or more) heads. That being said, I shoot 2.25 inch 2 blade Swhackers. However, I'm at 78 pounds and a 490 grain arrow.

20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This boils down to ONE answer.
    But I'll refrain because there are too many here that will go into a " rage":lol: