My son asked a question...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He loves to watch bowhunting shows, so I indulge him because he's 14 and I encourage his interest in bowhunting obviously, better than rap videos and other garbage on youtube. He asked me, dad, why do most of these shots not go all the way through? I said hum....low poundage and mech heads, untuned bows, too light of an arrow, are all possibilities. I don't get it though. 95% of the deer I have shot have all been pass throughs. A lot of these like 80% of the ones I have seen recently get about 8" of penetration and lots of them are low shots and mid body.. maybe they are shooting too far coupled with all the other variables I mentioned...anyone notice this?

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do forget hitting the opposite shoulder bone..

dnoodles likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    nah, I get that, but many of these shots were mid body too far back. shoot have gone right through...Im talking broadside

Okiebob likes this.
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Naivety in proper arrow building OR some folks don't have penetration as their goal behind the builds

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it boils down to light arrows for speed and low poundage

6. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is a lot of pressure for these tv guys to shoot a deer that I'm sure its not uncommon for them to take shots that otherwise maybe they wouldn't.

pick00l and MUDSHARK like this.
  7. Between2Bluffs

Between2Bluffs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think these full grown adult men really have a problem pulling back enough weight ? I also don't think too light an arrow is and issue either. Heavy arrows are all the rage these days I thought.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only thing to add is sharpness and shape of the broadheads. Though these are a stretch. I think bone and light arrows are the most likely.

Some brands are evil sharp out off the package, others aren't. If they aren't, are they sharpening them or not?

Bevels, lost energy (maybe) to deploy a mechanical could be other minor factors.

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    what I am saying is, they maybe able to pull more weight but are not...which is fine, I can pull 80 but choose to pull 62. Im thinking they want lighter arrows for trajectory so they can make shots out to 40-50 yds with less pins.. that = A PROBLEM

10. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they’re not picking their gear.

A lot of them, I’m sure, are handed equipment and told to just go use it.

And what happens, happens.

I’m sure the factory that gave it to them had someone tune it and set it to their draw length and draw weight. Then handed them some arrows setup with whatever flavor Broadhead they want the guy to use. Then stick them on some property and tell them to shoot a deer.

Vabowman likes this.
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: I can tell you with absolute certainty this does not happen.

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I also do understand that they are shooting much bigger bodied deer than here in VA. A 160" + deer here often times weighs no more than 145-155 lbs..

13. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They’re paid spokespersons who are given stuff with the purpose of brandishing it for advertisement. That’s why every 15 seconds they’re name dropping a sponsor or item brand.

It happens in a LOT of industries.

What convinces you without a doubt that somehow this industry is absent of this practice?

We already know that manufacturers and distributors offer free gear to small time podcasters and you tubers that give them favorable “reviews”. Folks who were made offers like this came forward to the public about it. Imagine if they they threw you a 6 digit or more salary on top of it...

I’m not saying it’s what happens exactly, but it’s like any other job. If your boss (sponsors and advertisers) tell you to hunt with a certain arrow, Broadhead, bow, and wear their camo clothes. You don’t have the option to say no if you want to keep your job.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that most if not all hunting shows have sponsors and therefore get plugs for their products..it's business. Capitalism. I for one, don't pay much attention to it. I don't buy their calling systems, moon phase charts, scent lok, etc..I just use a little spray and rub the hell out pine tags on me, and let the chips fall where they may...I don't know about them walking into the woods with a bow that's already tuned and all that.. I believe most go through that process in a local shop or do it themselves..but yes, they are getting free bows, and other equipment..your top name shows. I don't fault them for that, I just wanted to know why they seem to not get clean pass throughs most of the time

NMGuy likes this.
  15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure they have sponsorship's, but if you think these folks don't practice with their equipment and fine tune everything, I think you don't know as much as you think you do. Their livelihood depends on getting kills on film. They have to make the most out of every opportunity. They sure aren't going to leave it up to chance. You can bet they spend plenty of time preparing, it's their job.

NMGuy likes this.
  16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think there's lots of factors to not getting a clean pass though. Arrow weight, Draw weight, cutting diameter of the broadhead, bow tuning plus dozens of other factors could come into play. I choose to shoot an expandable because I believe the cutting diameter offered by an expandable is an advantage. Physics tell me that a larger cutting diameter will not penetrate as deep as a smaller fixed broadhead, but experience tells me that it will generally create an extensive wound channel. Those results have proven successful for me, so I choose to sacrifice some penetration for a maximum wound channel.

17. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No way of telling. Tv personalities are just that. Take everything you see on video with a grain of salt, or sometimes a brick.

TV personalities. They get to edit, omit, you only see a tiny portion of them which is selected to show to you. etc...

Often times, your favorite TV actor is nothing like what you think. Usually because you don’t actually know them. You just see who and what they are portrayed as on TV. Which can and is often times, a polar opposite of what kind of person they really are. Remember they get paid to do this stuff.

I’m sure they don’t just take a bow out and shoot the first arrow into a deer, but a half decent shooter with a team of folks pampering them can take a few test shots and put a deer down in the same morning.

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say, here are a few you will seldom not see a passthru from (others feel free to pile on, but I don't watch much anymore) :
    John Dudley
    Levi Morgan (even though he takes some extremely long shots)
    Travis T-bone Turner

19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are new here, so you get a pass on that. But, the comment you are mocking comes from the guy that runs this forum and cohosts the "Bowhunt or Die" Show that is currently in its 10th season. Food for thought; get to know people who have been around here for a while before spouting off like that. I don't know Justin outside of this forum, however, having interacted with him several times, I can stay that he is a stand up guy and offers a lot of experience. I don't always agree with his viewpoints, but I respect his experience enough to consider what he says.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    HillviewHuntClub likes this.
    NMGuy dislikes this.
  20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahaha! THIS got me my first dislike on the forum. Hahaha!