My plot I made using a lawn de-thatcher.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jake_, Jul 22, 2013.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same way, how awesome is it awesome to have all that stuff on hand. It's so nice to just be a ble to go craw on a dozer or a tractor or whatever and get the job done.
    Yeah I have a couple smallish plots myself that I have tucked away back in the brush where it's near impossible to get to them with a tractor and equipment. I have some ATV implements for those and a plotmaster which works pretty good.

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work...

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt check on this plot since the last picture. I broadcasted some more 20-19-19 and sprayed Jolt. Then we got almost 2 inchs of rain and 90's for temps in the last almost 2 weeks. Stuff exploded and is knee to waist high! Amazed me! :tu:

Crappy cell phone picture dont due justice.

I will broadcast some more 20-19-19 that I have left a few pounds maybe, and then spray Jolt one more time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking plot. Good job.

5. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sorry, been slacking. Here are some updates.
    First picture is right before the frost. The rape and radishes seeded out/headed out. No worries I watched deer eat the headed out part from the stand(2nd picture) Normally we have a killing frost on/around mid September... This year it was closer to end of October before we got a good frost!.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture where I am standing 10 feet away from the plot as of yesterday:
    [​IMG]

As far as success= I seen deer everytime I sat in this stand. I didnt get a chance to bowhunt much this year and didnt gun hunt here at all! haha.. My nephew missed a doe out of the stand with the bow (rookie hunter who got nervous. last year he picked up a bow for the first time on saturday and sunday shot a 10pt out of my other stand, so a deer feeding naturally was a challenge rather then the 10pt running up on him and he didnt have time to get nervous.)

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's great. Why dont you want the radishes and rape to head out? I'm looking at doing a plot this year probably the same size as this one. I've never put in a plot before so we shall see how it goes. With all the crops around I think it will make a great late season kill plot.

7. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jacob1= Good time for you in your area to put in a fall plot would be the very end of July till Mid August. Winter rye could go in later like early-mid September and still be a good fall food source plot.(of course weather plays a great role in how late you can plant winter rye)

well them heading/seeding out means the plants are mature. If you look close at the pictures the white flowers is the buckwheat which is suppose to do that. The yellow flowers are the dwarf essex rape and the other stuff is some radishes. I dont see a problem with them heading out/seeding out/bolting. I heard of other reasons why some plants head/seed out but havent looked into it that much. Mainly it means the plot was planted early and the plants are past its prime so to speak. I heard some deer dont take to them as much as verse the plants are young and still growing.

I personally have planted brassicas in the spring and they are eaten a little later in the fall vs a traditional late summer planted brassica plot that seems to get eaten earlier in the fall.

General rule of thumb with brassicas= fertilize the heck out of them at time of planting and after they are 3-6 inches tall. Plant them earlier in the summer and they get bigger and last longer into the winter. Plant them later and they dont get as big but are preferred earlier.

I found if I plant brassicas in June Or August they get used equally. I planted one 1/4 acre of brassicas the last weekend in June and they barely made it till the first frost! haha.

With me I just stagger my planting dates for all my fall plots to cover all bases so to speak. Like if there happens to be a very dry August,a early or late frost and if I want big turnips/radishes.

8. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    also here are 3 brassica seeds I planted in my garden in May 2 years ago for the heck of it. These got eaten down to a 6 inch stub come mid winter :D
    DSCF5424 (1024x683).jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    here is some more spring planted brassicas from this year that were spring planted in my garden. These kept producing a flower and I kept clipping them off and it kept growing up until the first frost. They did reach chest high before they were done. haha.
    DSCF5022 (807x1024).jpg

10. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done!

11. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be contacting antler king this summer. Is that you? Thanks!

12. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am a prostaff guy, but can point you in the right direction and answer any questions you might have. Send me a PM if you want to talk more this winter. Thanks.

13. Mr.CluckCluck

Mr.CluckCluck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some awesome looking land for sure!

14. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice job