My October 2013 Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DropTine249, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My October 2013 10pt New Jersey Whitetail.......

I haven't been on here in years, so, with that said, I hope all of the old-timers are doing well and enjoying their seasons. God Bless !!

So, I obtained permission to hunt a new piece of property last year but didn't step foot on it or even look at it until this past week. With work, my family businesses, rental properties and a baby on the way, I don' have much time to hunt. The time I DO have, is split between Goose, Duck and Deer hunting. So far, this entire season, I think I've only sat a stand 3x on a different property, just for a doe (ok, just to get out in a stand and relax. I fell asleep every single time, haha).

The Scouting
    I ended up with 2 hours of time to scout before company was to be at my house for a dinner engagement. I decided to head over to the new hunting land and have a peak. This property is hunted by other guys. The initial 3 locations I found that I liked for a stand- ALREADY being hunted. I ended up following a stream and found a great area along the break-line (where the very thick woods/cover meets the more open hard woods). There are some White and Red Oaks in the vicinity and what looked like a nice, in-woods funnel coming back off of a 15 acre cut corn field (fields were JUST taken in, so, they are HOT). I found no big tracts, no big rubs, no big scrapes- they area just looked right, had some White and Red Oaks in the vicinity and I could envision how the deer would funnel down off of the corn field, feeding on acorns on their way back to bed, stopping for a drink at the stream.

Mind you, I have never glassed, walked, looked or anything, any part of this property other than the land-owners front door. No trail cameras, no talking to anyone about it- NOTHING. I was a complete virgin to this land. 2 days after I hung the stand, I was able to slip out for a quick morning hunt.

The Hunt
    Last Saturday morning was the day. I actually got hung up a bit in the morning and along with walking in EXTREMELY slow in an effort to keep my noise down, I got into stand around first light. I had no idea where the deer would be so I wanted to make sure I was as quiet as possible.

At around 7:30am I looked over my left shoulder and to my surprise, I see antlers about 80-100 yards out, and, they're kind of coming my way. I studied the deer a bit and thought he was nice, but, really felt that next year he would be a stud and that I should pass. Not knowing with what standards the other hunters that hunt this property (based on the fact that their stands are about 4' off the ground, over giant bait piles and trophy rocks, I wasnt convinced they hunt for age) hunt with and with how this was all going down, from my short scouting, to finding a stand location based solely on how I FELT the scenario should play out and the show the buck was putting on, I made the decision to take him if he came in, and, came in he did !!

No bait, no scent, no calling- NOTHING. First 1-1/2 hours of the first sit and here he comes. I actually drew on him 3x before he gave me a broadside opportunity for a broadside shot. He takes a few steps that put his head behind a larger Red Oak and thats when I drew, undetected....

When he emerged on the other side, he was still a little too quartering too and I had to hold for about 40seconds until he turned. As he's munching on acorns, he finally turns and gives me the shot I was waiting for. I placed my pin and began to pull (I use a back-tension release). The release trips, arrow goes sailing a mere 10yards and that's all she wrote- he dropped in his tracts and it was lights out.

I couldnt believe it. I've killed bucks on my first sit in a stand before, but, it was on properties I knew, and, knew well. I actually expected to kill a buck on those sits, specific bucks, the ones I ended up taking. However, never before have I scouted, hung a stand with no "big buck" sign and had it all work out, first sit ever on or anywhere near the property. Completely blind, not so much as even a single trail camera photo or even1 minute of glassing. I haven't even talked to the other hunters, ever and the land-owner knows NOTHING about the deer movement here, or, anything about deer, for that matter.

Well, here he is. Certainly not my biggest or oldest buck, but, I'm more than pleased with him and the way everything unfolded, especially the last 10 minutes of the hunt, I'll remember this forever. I really have bee placing an emphasis on scouting skills over the past 2 seasons and it paid off. The other guys are really in great areas; they have insanely diverse bait sites featuring everything you could think of- they know the property and I shoot this buck on my first ever sit !!!

This buck actually had a pretty freaking large body. The photo is deceiving. Even the processor and a few of his employees were I took him too were really impressed with his body size.

Thanks for reading, everyone. God Bless. Have a great season !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, heck of a buck!

3. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are 2 bucks from past seasons.

I cannot recall if I shared these with my fellow BH.com members.

Again, best of luck to all this season. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

God Bless !!

Attached Files:

• BBuck.jpg
      BBuck.jpg
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
    • b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great congrats

5. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! great story, great buck. Nice when it works out like that.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great bucks for nj. Where in nj are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats, that's a great buck!

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Good looking buck.

9. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations and welcome back. Nice looking buck there.

10. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck...congrats!

11. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations….great buck!

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck!!!