My new cooler

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Trevor Olson, May 31, 2013.

1. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a new 70 Quart Coleman Xtreme cooler. Its rated as a 5 day cooler. $20 bucks after sale and $5 rebate so I figured what the heck! After looking the cooler over, the build seems fine but I am rough on some of my things but I wasn't ready to fork out hundreds of dollars on a Yeti ect. I did decide to do a modification. The handles on this thing seemed cheap and I figured I would remove the plastic pins that held the handle on and use some 1/4" poly rope and 3/8" id clear plastic as the cushion over the rope. So far I am happy with it. I also notice that the lid-body plastic hinge system may be an issue in the future, but I may use a thin strap and screw the top and the bottom together just so the lid opens but doesn't over travel. Years ago I purchased a large Igloo cooler and we still use it, but the hinges and latching mechanisms broke. Now it has steel hinges. Maybe it would be a good investment buying one of those more expensive coolers, but for now this will do. _MG_1944.jpg _MG_1948.jpg _MG_1949.jpg

Has anyone done similar mods to their coolers?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    very cool project. i think putting on steel hinges would really help with durability

3. Arkansas countryboy

Arkansas countryboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet and cheap modifications!

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Trevor. I picked up a new Coleman 150qt cooler a few months ago and can't wait to try it out next week. I was thinking about changing out the handles and hinges to but figured I would wait till these break. I was looking at the Coleman site and you can get metal replacement hinges for like $10 or so. Think I might try them out next.