Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

My name is Matt, and I'm an Elkcoholic (CO Elk 2010)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bz_711, Sep 27, 2010.

1. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was he wearing shorts when he shot it?...

04:30, 25 degrees and the Kiwi's wearing shorts. Definitely a nut! Congrats to him for me!!

2. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...I'll beat ya ten he was!

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say he's done quite well!! Congratulation's to him!!

4. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good call Rob!!!

I think the only reason I got chilled at Camp was from looking over and seeing Scottie in shorts and sandals. Scottie needs to take some time to hunt 2 legged deer - the right Mrs. and he could just make the move full time to the states...

Anxious for pics - Congrats Mate!

5. Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Huck and Pando gang; Thank you for sharing your photos and stories of your Pando Colo adventures. Some very good story tellers here ! I enjoyed it so much, and felt as though I was stalking along with you. Congrats to those who harvested game, and sorry to those who unfortunately lost animals. I know no one evers wants that to happen. Huck I do think you photographed a "Sassy" :> ) I am sure no one will forget this elk hunt, ....you boys had fun ! HH in Pa

6. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha , congrats to Scottie , hope he doesn't take to long in getting them Pictures posted . I she coming back to yours Will , when he finishes up in Dakota ?

I agree Matt , that guy scottie needs to get a woman , he's like a dog on heat , but it may be what he needs to make the move .

Rob , you're probably right Bud , shorts and sandals all the way :p

7. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Here's Scottie's buck. It's a real monster for the Black Hills of South Dakota. Also not a bad first deer!

[​IMG]

8. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    SAWEEEEEEEEEEEET , congrats to Scottie . Well done fella

9. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck!

10. Bowdy

Bowdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    G'day Guys,
    My name is Grant Bowd and I'm an Elkcoholic too.
    I travelled half way around the world to feed my addiction, thanks to Mr Will Nelson :rock:
    I am a member of a Aussie Bowhunting forum, so come on over and say "G'DAY" [http://www.aussiebowhunter.com/showthread.php?t=31112]

Wow, where to start!!,
    What a great trophy animal the Elk is and the country he inhabits is soooo spectacular!!
    I have dreamed of hunting Elk since I was kid so to finely hunt them in their native land was so surreal.
    First job was to help set up the Elk camp and what a big job it was, Scottie ( A New Zealander) and I kept looking at each other and saying to each other, do you guys camp like this? and I replied no we just throw a Swag (A Bed Roll) on the ground and have a esky and a Tucker box of food, takes about five minutes to set up.
    We set up four tents with two heaters, folding beds, kitchen, meal area, toilet and a shower, you blokes sure do it in style.
    Matt really has covered it beatifully, as we pretty much hunted as a group of three or four for a fair amount of the trip.(Matt, Scottie, Justin & Myself)
    I ended up having two chances at Bulls, the first was when we found the "Bowl" , we had climbed up high at first light and were listen for bugles down below or off to the sides, when we finely heard some.
    We moved around to the gully we could hear them in and dropped down into the dark timber and straight away there was fresh sign everywhere.
    We could make out three different bugles and decided to split up, I went to the left and started to climb up to were I thought the last bugle had come from.
    I was following some smokin fresh prints and as I stopped in a deppression on the ridge I had a feeling they were close, in front of me was a large blown down tree and as I slowly peered over the top, two Cows blew out, I pulled an arrow from the quiver and placed it on the string.
    In the shadows I made out the form of a Bull who was now standing looking around to see what was going on, he was facing away from me and he was looking back and forward and then back to me, he had a nice high rack as I grabbed the range finder and punched the button, 43 yards, all I had was a texas heart shot and I was hoping he would turn a bit, but he blew out too, so my chance was gone.
    I don't regret not taking that shot one bit as it's not a shot I feel comfortable with.
    The second chance was what Matt described in his story and it was such a great experince to have a Bull come in like that.
    I can still see that arrow from Justin's bow smashing in behind the Bulls shoulder as he spun around and took off like a freight train.
    We then heard him go over no more than 15 seconds later and the blood trailing job was a short one.
    The six hour carry out was a long one, but with a few jokes and laughs along the way it soon passed.
    The last couple of days Scottie and I threw some gear into our packs and tried fly camping at the bowl, we ended up follwing some bugling bulls but never got close enough to see them.
    The whole experince was amazing and I meet some wonderful people and had a blast.
    I can't thank Will enough for all that he did, this was just one part of the trip and what he organized was unreal, Thanks Mate!!

P.S. I hope Justin took the "Package" out of his sneaky feet, otherwise the smell by now would be nice and ripe.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grant.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. medic87

medic87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great write up guys! Congrats to all who harvested animals. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and it looks as though you all had an excellent time. Reading stories like these make me so proud to live the hunting lifestyle, and I gotta admit, make me a bit homesick. Thanks so much for sharing.

12. DrawrofBackward

DrawrofBackward Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I wanna Elk hunt.

Awesome post dude ! Thanks for sharing...

13. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great to see you check in Grant!

Great photos!...no doubt I'll never forget those hunts.

You had asked about the rain gear I had that day - it was Cabelas Space Rain Ultra Pack raingear. Make sure to check back and share some of your Aussie kills with us all.

14. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    G'day Grant, good to see you here!

Did you get a copy of Justin's video? I watched it the other day and laughed my arse off! What a bunch of clowns you guys were!

I took my baby sis and a good friend back up to Medicine Bow for a last ditch antelope hunt. The Red water hole had been shut off for the remainder of the year. The goats were constantly on the move...they've gone through three weeks of rifle hunter shock and awe. Getting one to stand still long enough for a shot was nearly impossible. I managed though (I still enough hunting pronghorn with a rifle-one of the few). I dropped the biggest buck I could find. Here's a picture-

[​IMG]

Are you settling back into work. I hope so! You're going to need a paycheck to get yourself and family back over here!

15. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome pictures Grant , great meeting you Guys and hope its not the last .

Congrats on the Antelope Will , what a beauty .

16. Bowdy

Bowdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    QUOTE=Iamyourhuckleberry;240197]G'day Grant, good to see you here!

Did you get a copy of Justin's video? I watched it the other day and laughed my arse off! What a bunch of clowns you guys were!

I took my baby sis and a good friend back up to Medicine Bow for a last ditch antelope hunt. The Red water hole had been shut off for the remainder of the year. The goats were constantly on the move...they've gone through three weeks of rifle hunter shock and awe. Getting one to stand still long enough for a shot was nearly impossible. I managed though (I still enough hunting pronghorn with a rifle-one of the few). I dropped the biggest buck I could find. Here's a picture-

[​IMG]

Are you settling back into work. I hope so! You're going to need a paycheck to get yourself and family back over here![/QUOTE]

G'day Guys,
    Thanks for the replys,
    No Will I haven't got a copy of the video yet, did you give him my address because I don't remember giving it to him?
    Well done on the Pronghorn, he's a nice looking animal.

Yeah Back to reality with a huge THUD!!
    I'm going to have to work some "overtime" (which is a dirty word to me) to help pay for this one first. :cry:
    Grant.

17. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Grant,

I'll see that a video gets to you.

18. HenriettasFinest

HenriettasFinest Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    finally took time to read all of it and wow great story great pictures and man it makes me wanna do it while im still in shape

19. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was great meeting you Grant!!

20. Bowsmith

Bowsmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got the internet

WOW! looks like its still happening out there!

You know what, I'm not jealous at all!!!! (I'm also a compulsive liar!.....)

Well, the memory remains of the most amazing bowhunting trip I have been on!
    The logistics of organising for 25+ bowhunters to come from all over the world, meet and have a camp analogous to the Hilton hotel is no mean feat.

I didn't need to hunt by the time I got to camp though! I was happy to stay in Boulder and check out the ladies. They love the Lithuanian accent! I was bound to get one if I stayed long enough... If only I had a tag!!!

once at camp we found our beds all nicely laid out for us and was shortly cooked dinner. Not only did Will arrange the trip, put up about 4 marquees worth of 'heavy duty' centrally heated tents with a kitchen, dining area, plenty of seats, central heating, a toilet and a shower, he also cooked for us all!
    You cant even pay for that kind of service!

We were shortly allocated our hunting 'buddies' and areas where Elk or Mule Deer had been seen recently ready for the coming days hunting.

I went out on my own the 1st day. No GPS, no map, no radio. I had my running trainers on as my boots fell apart just as I was packing. Equipped with my only 3 arrows, my two used broadheads and a borrowed judo point. Oh yeah, I was ready to hunt!!!
    There was no way a Mountain Lion was going to get me! I was continually looking over my shoulder, nothing was sneaking up on me. Apparently no dear either!
    A few hours in I had decided to sit down and enjoy being in the Rockies and watch some chipmonks (we dont have them in England) and photograph them.
    I then went for a little trek and saw a bushy tail!
    The Coyotes had come to eat me! I found myself nocking an arrow and coming to full draw. It was a red Fox!
    I didnt have it in me to shoot it.(and it was out of season and I didnt have a tag)