My name for BHOD episode 15

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Marauder, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would call this episode "Humbling". It was a very good episode in my opinion. A lot of shows wouldn't show any of this footage but let's face it, to see little deer or no deer at all is really a part of bowhunting. Nobody ever said seeing deer is easy or a gimme. That's why I love the sport is because it's challenging and you're always learning something. Todd has been hunting for 30 plus years and he's still learning and has the humility to admit. Great Job Guys! :tu:

2. ARob

ARob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more! I have been out every day since the IL opener and twice a day on the weekends. Hunting has been tough. Weather, crops, shifting food sources, etc... That's why its hunting and not killing right boys? Good luck this weekend and stay safe!

3. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was trying to think while watching the episode if I had ever seen another hunting show that ran footage of a deer busting the hunter. I couldn't think of any and we all know it happens to everyone. Thanks for keeping it real guys. Great job.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the fact that the videos feel real.

I am a little torn on the two harvests. I think the first harvest was lack of respect. Sure he practices, but he knew and everyone watching knew he should not have taken the shot. The second one was bad. Shooting a walking deer in the rain before a down pour? What I am torn on is: (1) Do you keep it real for the audience and show what you should not do. (2) or are you rewarding bad behavior by airing those videos?

In the end you have to entertain and comments were made on how you felt. I almost came away feeling like the hunters had more pressure on them than the deer.

You know I love the site and the videos & my opinion could be off on this, it was just how I felt.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Believe me, I felt the EXACT same way when we were putting this show together. Part of me feels that by showing them at all we're justifying taking poor shots (hey, the deer's dead, right) but another part of me says if you don't show it how will people ever learn? It's a tough decision to make.

In regards to the 2nd deer - it wasn't actually pouring rain. Richie may have said it was, but it was more of a steady light rain than a real soaker and it stopped shortly after dark. I personally wouldn't have hesitated to shoot a deer in that weather. However the shot angle was certainly not optimal.

When you're filming hunts you definitely feel pressure to "perform" and that does cloud judgement from time to time. I wish it weren't reality but unfortunately it is. We're all human and make poor decisions from time to time so we get that, but at the same time we never want to avoid mentioning something that's clearly wrong.

It's all good. :tu:

6. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    At the end of the day I didnt have to send the footage in. I didnt send it in to get on the show. I did it so people could see what not to do thats why I talked about it. I wanted that doe bad I had her at 45 yards once during the night and that would of been a lot better shot. When she turned to walk away I lost my self control. I thought I can make that shot. The thing you dont ever think of is the fact that the deer isnt a stationary target. It wasnt a lack of respect issue.

7. koonski70

koonski70 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like Justin and Todd is like they said they put the show together a week later not a year later I love it keep up the great job everyone @ Bowhunt or Die AWESOME

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you mentioned it in the video and I missed it, how far of a shot did you take?

9. MarkV

MarkV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On a lighter side, I didn't know Todd was co-hosting with Mitch from Modern Family :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a red beard or a gay joke? :sheep:

11. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna go with beard...but I could be wrong. :p

12. MarkV

MarkV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely referring to the the beard mate. Very well manicured :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

13. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the show, Justin I particularly enjoy your segments ...not to be:dan:. Just sayin

14. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like that Mark V just called JZ "mate"!

15. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree 100%.
    The shoot angle was terrible.
    It's tough to understand the entire hunt from a video I know that for a fact now more than ever.
    The rain was a light steady drizzle because of our tree canopy not a pouring rain.
    The shoot angle happened because I did something I normally don't do which was try to stop the deer. (That's all on me) when I tried to stop her I released at the same time and she ducked and turned towards me. Hind sight is 20/20 & if I had just waited and been quite my arrow would've went right where I had my pin behind her shoulder.
    By no means am I defending my shot or judgement. I really do appreciate and respect your opinions.
    How these guys do this every time out under that pressure of making sure they do the best job they can has given me even more respect for them and what they do here.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  16. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Justin - I think it's time to invest in a pair of loafers with Tassels - welcome to the club!

17. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh made me laugh! The Fiance wants to put me in something called "sperrys." I told her not going to happen, but deep down we all know when she buys them I'll end up wearing them.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Don't do it man! Next thing you know you'll have a wool sweater with ducks on the front and an Obama sticker on your car!

19. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll just have to avoid all shoe sized boxes come Christmas time!