My kids' silly question made me think deeper.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My boys asked me if I would give up hunting forever for 100 million$.. I immediately said no way. Then I thought, well why would I not? 100 mil is more than enough to take care of them when Im gone, take of everyone in my family and their kids as well. But it all came back, could I really never step foot in the woods to hunt again? Never get excited to see the woods come alive in the pre dawn? But most important, could I not ever share hunting memories with these boys again? NO. it's that simple yet that deep. These boys are a major reason I got up and dusted myself off after their mother left I vowed to be true to myself and who I am and that is passing on my passions to them. So yeh, I couldn't walk away for $$. Even if I wanted too. See what happens when it's too hot to fish and too hot to think about hunting.... the mind wanders

huntrwilliams and axtell343 like this.
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm taking the money and going fishing. See ya!

3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I love to fish too. Tournament fishing is a passion of mine. But come September, my mind and soul changes gears and I long to be in the stand. Been like that for 30 years. Just couldn't walk away from it

andrew1922 likes this.
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the rules of "no hunting". Can I still go into the woods, bugle elk, rattle rutting whitetails, only armed with a camera?

One the one hand, several generations of my descendants would be good to go with that kind of money. Have to have a very chink-proof plan drawn up by a lawyer so it couldn't be blown by one idiot. I have several other passions and would immerse myself into them. Both my atv and my snowmobile would be wearing turbos.

On the other hand that kind of money tends to produce some real DB's. I'd hate the thought of my descendants all being a bunch of lazy DB's. Plus, hunting would be the very last of my passions that I'd give up if forced to for whatever reason. Many of my most important memories of family and friends are hunting related. Being in the woods as a predator is something I've enjoyed since I was 10 years old.
    I think if I could still shoot bows and guns, just not hunt, I'd probably go with the money. It only applies to me, right? Buy a bunch of land and let my descendants enjoy some fabulous hunting ground.
    I'd have the most mac, bling-bling 3D bow you ever saw. Ha ha

Pops423, pick00l and gr_andrews like this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting more than anything... Except my wife and girls. I would take the money and in fact allot less than that amount. Setting up my girls for life would be well worth it.

Pops423 and gr_andrews like this.
  6. axtell343

axtell343 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would most likely be ruined if I had such a large sum dumped on me like that, so pass! But it is fun to think about.

Sota likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100 million no brainer.

8. gr_andrews

gr_andrews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely grab the money and go.
    [​IMG]

But I’d also be taking the wife and kids on some amazing photo shoots and teach them to hunt wildlife in the pre dawn hours.
    I’d be filming for hunters also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know. let's say you could never go afield again. ever...nothing to do with hunting. ok, maybe you could hike but thats it. I don't think I could do it.

gr_andrews likes this.
  10. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thats is a tough question. Man I love passing on my hunting knowledge to my kids. It would also take care of my family and my kids families for generations to come, if managed properly. Hard one to choose for me.

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    when you put it like this... giving up hunting for the money means no hunting with your kids or grand kids..how happy would the money make you? in a world that revolves around material things, I still believe some things can't be bought. that kind of money can change things, but not necessarily for the better....

virginiashadow likes this.
  12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These days, I pretty much only feel truly alive when that cold wind hits my face from 20 feet high in a tree. I don't think I could sell that for any amount of money. I ain't going to have anything special on my tombstone when I die, so screw it.

Vabowman likes this.
  13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather be poor and keep hunting.
    It's what I do.

14. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being broke and hunting has worked for me so far so why quit. Raise your kids right and they will take care of themselves just fine.

15. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That and getting a way better camera. I don't hunt in the summer but that doesn't keep me out of the woods. I still practice getting close to game, calling in turkey, challenging doe with return stomps and snorts. I still shoot my weapons, forage for food. 100 mil would just allow me to do all that on a way bigger piece of land. If I can get a nice buck into close range for a great pic, I get just as excited in the encounter. I have that trophy shot, though I'd sure as heck miss the end results on my table.

BTW...that kind of money would have my grand kids in a way better private school and not the lying liberal nightmare they are starting now. My grown kids would be set and they could hunt all they pleased, hubby would be retired and enjoying life. Yep perspective.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    gr_andrews likes this.