My First Buck With A Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lgordon711, Nov 16, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I finally got a buck down this year. It is an ok 8 point, there are bigger deer on the farm but nothing was coming in close. The funny story about this deer is that my dad about 3 weeks ago shot at this deer and hit it high above the spine. Then we had seen this buck from the same stand another 3-4 more times.

So Friday morning I got in the stand pretty early for me about 25-30min before shooting hours. About 10 min after I got in the stand I could hear deer running around in the woods to the north of me. They had to only be about 100-200 yards away. All the leaves where frozen because it was about 20 degrees outside and every thing was really noisy. I thought they where going to come out into the clearing between two fields that I am hunting on before I could see to shoot. Then about 6:15 a doe came out about 60 yrds away and went up to the wheat field. Then a couple minutes later two more doe's came out around the same spot and I thought there was maybe going to be a buck come out because of all the running but I heard nothing. Then I heard a deer coming towards me so I figured it would be the buck so I grabbed my bow. I could see it about 5 yards in the woods and it was standing behind a big tree unable to see me so I stood up. It walked out of the woods at about 25 yards directly in front of me. When it came out it did not stop and it turned broadside and started walking. I was going to let it stop on its own and it went out into the beans and it stopped at about 30 yards and I shot and I was pretty sure I saw the arrow as I smoked it but because it was still just not quite bright out I was not sure. When the arrow hit he ran away from me through the bean field. At about 100 yards he stopped and stood there then he took off sprinting over the hill. This had me worried that I maybe missed him or made a bad shot or something.

So knowing he was a good ways away from me I quietly got out and found my arrow then headed back to the house. I examined arrow and it had pretty decent blood that was pretty light red but not a ton of it and it had a little dark hair on the muzzy. I smelled it and it did not smell bad but I was still worried about a bad shot because I thought I saw the arrow but sometimes in the moment you think things happened that did not. I waited for my cousin to get done with the morning hunt and at about 9:30 we went back out to look for him. We checked where the arrow was and no blood so we expanded our search with no blood. So we decided to start walking to try to find where he stood hoping he would drop some blood there. About 40 yards from where I shot him we found some blood. Then we started finding a ton. It covered the tops of the beans which made it so we could follow it without looking at the ground. We found the deer about 150 yards from the shot. When we first saw it there was a big chunk taken out of his back. We got up closer and realized that in the 2 hours we let it sit coyotes had got to it a bit. The wost part of it was they got to the stomach and opened it up so it was like field dressing a bad gut shot.

I ended up making good shot and I'm very happy with my first buck (when I was 14 I shot a 6 pointer with a bow but I'm not counting that). I worked hard for this deer. I hunted 4 days a week for the whole bow season. I practiced almost every day shooting. This is also on top of finishing my final semester as a Civil Engineering major in college and studying for the fundamental engineering exam (about 70hours studied in 2.5 months).

Funny thing was this deer came out the exact same spot as he did for my dad and I shot it at about 3-4 yards closer but almost in the same spot.

Attached Files:

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, wish my first archery buck looked like that

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job, sweet looking buck! Congrats

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! That's a great deer.

5. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys I was pretty excited. This is my third deer this year and 3 good shots practice really pays off.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a nice buck and a great season!

7. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great season. Way to finish strong.

8. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats...around here that buck is considered a trophy, especially for a bow kill. Hope you're putting him on the wall!

9. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats nice buck

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome buck... especially for your first with a bow. Congrats!

11. varmint101

varmint101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

12. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck! Congrats! The first one is always special.

13. scottmills

scottmills Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful buck !! Congrats !

14. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys I hope you guys do well too. I was surprised this deer weighed 139 and I killed doe about 2 weeks ago that was 130 that's a 9lb difference. And no its not going on the wall I already have a 13pt with a drop tine scoring 158 and a smaller 10pt on the wall and this is smaller than both. I don't have the room or the money and It would not look right with my other deer.

15. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats! rock on!

16. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first, it's a good one!

17. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I will say I did kill a 6 pt when I was 14 but this one 8 years later is my first good sizd one

18. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    amen! that is a dandy! Congrats... many hunt all their lives and never shoot one that nice! Great job!