My first bird

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by S.McArthur, Apr 14, 2014.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to share the story since I'm still riding the high of my first turkey. It is posted in the turkey contest. I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

Got out to my set up location, set out my pop up and start to set decoys out when I hear a hen right above me, then two more chime in. Well crap they never have roosted right here. So I decide its best to just get in the blind and see what happens. They do their ting and finally fly down and head for the hill. 0830 comes around and I'm a little frustrated, feeling like I ruined my hunt by not seeing them when I came in. I put a field point on nock and shoot a decaying stump just to test out the shoot through screen on my blind. I go retrieve my arrow and start packing up my kit.......until........I hear a gobble way off on the other hill. I grab what I thought was my crappiest mouth call and give a few yelps. I get a response and excitement is back in the hunt.
    I move to the field and re set up. I give a few more yelps and to my surprise I get a response. Me and Tom go back and forth and he sounds like he's coming closer. This goes on for about 20 min until he goes silent. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE I see him right on the other side of the creek, HE'S COMING IN, hands are shaking from excitement, holy crap this is going to happen. I see him about 20 yards looking for a place to cross. The sun is right on him and he looks like the size of a cow.
    He finally crosses the creek and moves into my decoy area. He comes right up to my blind, no kidding 5 feet from me and is trying to look into my blind. I stay as still as possible and he turns towards my jake and fans out, I'm going to corn hole him, until my back elbow hits the back wall of my blind, he turns his head but goes back to my jake, I line him up and THWACK, I nailed him, or as some of those ridiculous "pro" hunter shows would say smoked him. He runs off, not fast but at a decent pace, I watch through my blind window and he slows down. Then a freaking house cat runs the same direction. Stupid cat.
    I give about 15 min and get my arrow, nice bright red blood and an awesome blood trail. I track for 30 yards and there he is. I do my kill dance and fist pump the air. More fist pumping and dancing goes on.
    So freaking excited, first turkey ever and with a bow made it even sweeter. It has been a frustrating few weeks but it paid off on Saturday.
    Heres a few pictures and If I can get the video to post you'll have some good audio of a few hens in roost and a fly down. Video 1 is them in roost, skip to about 50 sec. and you'll here the Tom I was after but could not get him to come. Video 2 has the fly down.

photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201814225262019&l=3167440998166976517

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201814211341671&l=6671684358966115930

2. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again man. Lot better
    Story then my first bird, happened so fast I didn't have time to get excited or anything last year. The one from this morning got me pumped though, just too bad he wouldn't come to my decoys.

3. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great Kill! Hopefully I will have the same luck this season. lol

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's great!

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Hoping to get my first bird this season in a few weeks!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That awesome, congratulations and great story

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great first bird!

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Bro!! Congrats!!

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just Perfect!

10. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome hunt. Congrats on " smoking him" :)

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff