Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

My blood tracking dog.....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you may remember a thread I started last winter about our new addition to the family Johnny (named after Mr. Cash of course :rock:). Thought I would post an update here for those of you interested.

I spent some time over the last couple of years with a friend of mine who is certified in NY and has a purpose bred/fully trained Wirehair Dachshund for tracking wounded deer. I decided after the second track behind this dog that I someday wanted to get my own dog and learn to track wounded deer with dogs. Well last winter I was getting a bit more serious about it...and after a lot of research I learned that in the northern part of the country Daschunds or Beagles tend to be the preferred breed, with most preferring Wirehair Dachshunds. I was about to pull the trigger on a purpose bred dog, when my parents called me. They own a small Vet clinic in northern PA, and apparently someone had abandoned a small hound dog pup in front of their house (this happens all the time when your a vet). He was very malnutritioned, and had some pretty bad frost bite, but otherwise was a healthy and happy pup. I headed down that weekend to look at him, and ended up bringing him home. As best as we can tell, he's most likely half Dachshund, half Beagle, and may have a bit of Redbone in him.

I spent some time with him this summer in training based on what I learned through a lot of internet research and reading. While he has a fantastic nose, I wasn't sure if he would really cut it on a real live track. I love the dog to pieces, but to be honest with you........he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He's all nose and heart, but lacking a bit in the brains department. Typical of a hound I guess, but I wasn't sure if he would be able to connect the dots that a blood trail was actually a trail to follow with something good at the end, vs. a spot that smelled good that he wanted to smell and lick and stand at. Well after this weekend, it seems that my dog is like a blood tracking rainman. While he lacks in almost every area of common sense and obedience, he's absolutely amazing to watch on a blood trail. :woot:

Fast forward to last week. I spent 10 days in central NY with one of my best buds Dan (Jaws on BH.com) at his camp. We had agreed when I got there that if anyone shot a deer, we were going to back out after marking point of impact and get the dog before taking up the track. Dan shot a deer on Sunday evening and we met up at camp that evening. We tied the dog up on the porch while we got into our deer tracking/recovery clothes and got our gear rounded up. Dan hung his bow with the bloody arrow in the quiver from the rafters, directly above the dog. After a few minutes, the dog started going nutty.......whining, hound bawling, dancing on his back legs with his nose in the air, etc. We couldn't figure it out at first, then I realized he was going nuts over the blood on the arrow. Dan looked at me and said "I think we just created a monster". :tu:

Dan had pinwheeled this deer and it was a fairly short trail........maybe 75 yards long. With that said, when we got to the point of impact, the dog absolutely realized that there was a trail to follow and took off right out of the gate. I literally had to jog to keep up with him for the first 30 or so yards. He went so fast he actually lost the trail, and immediately started zig zagging for a few seconds till he found it again and we where then off again as fast as I could go through the brush to keep up with him. We were on the deer in probably less than 2 minutes total, and he had officially recovered his first deer.

Tuesday night, I shot another doe. I also smoked this one, but despite an almost center punched heart with a bottom exit wound, the deer didn't bleed for almost the first 30-40 yards. He followed the scent trail left by the deers interdigital glands until the first blood like a pro, and once we were on blood I was again jogging to keep up with him in the brush. We recovered this one as well in what was likely under 2-3 minutes. Again, it was an easy track, but I'm absolutely amazed that he was able to realize the whole tracking concept on his first two outings, and also that he was able to start a track with no blood for the first stretch and successfully bring us to the blood, and finally the deer.......all on his own without any guidance.

Johnny and I are scheduled to do at least one tracking call with John Jeanneney this weekend. For those of you not familiar with him, he is the author of Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer, founder of Deer Search Inc, and also the most well known national breeder of Wirehair Dashchunds specifically for deer tracking. I'm lucky to live only about 10 miles from him, and he's going to mentor Johnny and I until we both get fully certified to participate in our own volunteer recoveries in NY through Deer Search Inc.

I realize we have a lot more training to do before he's fully trained, but I've got to say I'm incredibly proud of this dog. He's come a long way in the short time I've had him, and I'm happy to call him my hound.

I've got some pics of my doe, Johnny, and I to share here and also for the contest, but I left the memory card at camp.......I won't be able to share till next weekend at the soonest. In the mean time, below is a pic of Johnny the day I brought him home last winter. :beer:

[​IMG]

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like he is really coming along! I'd love to have a tracking dog one of these years....

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome I have been saying for two years that I WILL have a dog for tracking blood. I have almost bought John's book numerous times but have yet to pull the trigger on it.
    It will work out quite well because the ol lady wants a dachshund, so I told her she will have to compromise and go with a wire haired(even though they are a bit ugly). I think she will be up for it. I plan on reading John's book and looking up as much info as I can before I start this journey.

I appreciate you sharing your story of Johnny I will be looking forward to updates. I envy the fact that you live so close to John Jeanneney, I hope he makes your training go so much easier.

Man just reading this pumps me up and makes me want to get started!!

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you liked the story. If your serious about doing this, the first thing I'd do is head over to www.unitedbloodtrackers.org and join their membership. There is lots of good info in their forums, and lots of other great resources. The second thing I'd do is buy John's book and read the whole thing before buying a dog or anything.

5. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story! I want 1!

6. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story and cute looking dog. I would love to have a dog for hunting. I tried to get my lab/collie cross to search for sheds with me but she seems to have too much fun running around and smelling everything to search for sheds.

7. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's funny you mention unitedbloodtrackers I have emailed a handful of conversations with Andy from there. I talked with him through another forum of which I am not sure what it is anymore. Andy is the guy that got me some starter info on the subject.

I WILL do it eventually just do not have the time right now for a new dog and all the training. It will likely be nxt year or better. I guess however I can never be too prepared for the journey!

Thanks for the info!

8. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes to you and Johnny.

C

9. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the post, good luck with johnny!

10. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!!! Classic quote! Man, that is awesome that he is working out like that. I have told my wife and many other people, if I can watch a dog hunt/track I don't even care if I have a weapon. that is how much enjoyment I get out of watching them work. Awesome!

Sal

11. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, cute dog, kinda reminds me of the hounds from "Were the Red Fern Grows"

12. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did you train your dog to trail blood? I am interested in trying to train my dog to help track deer. Any particular links that helped the most?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Matt - that's a great story my friend. I'm glad your dog is doing well! Hopefully you can be of assistance to hunters in need some day. Maybe you can even come live in IL for the fall like some guys do, and just track deer all day. :D

14. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool story Matt. I've also been interested in pursuing this sort of thing. I put my dog Molly (shes a mutt--springer spaniel/lab mix) on a blood trail a couple weeks ago but shes like Jay's dog....loves being out there and smelling everything else but the blood trail. I havent really worked with her....I was really just hoping she would pick up on the trail and start following. I guess it is more natural to some than others.

15. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, that video was made minutes from my house. Both John and his wife are very active...........they are a fantastic resource.

17. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool stuff Matt. Was wondering about your season. Glad you are enjoying it.

19. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like it, great job.

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool, Matt. Looking forward to seeing some of the pics.