Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

My "Because I don't have enough money" Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Oct 16, 2023.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As the title suggests, my entire rant is potentially fueled due to the fact that I don't have enough money but here goes...

More and more ag/forested ground local to me keeps getting gobbled up by these Mossy Oak Properties and other realtors of the like, who convince owners to sell it to them for a fraction of what they turn around and list it for and they call it Prime Agritourism land. Call it good business, sure, but I feel as if it completely ruins all local ground accessibility. Many of these properties are bought up by out-of-state individuals/businesses and disappear from the public eye. 50% of the ground around me is owned by people who live many states away.

Are you guys seeing the same thing or is this just a Midwest/Indiana problem?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is competitive to acquire in demand properties no matter hunting or water front there is typically a bidding war. Part of it is ego part of it is having FU money.

pick00l likes this.
  3. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ag land isn't an issue, usually just local sale or auctioned off, but anytime it can be advertised as "Prime Hunting" property, these other companies get involved. Throw a few game cameras out to show pictures of wildlife and BAM! a $5k/acre woods jumps to $12k/acre

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah where I live is big ag country so any wooded acres are at a premium price wise. Plus you have to know somebody, good luck being an outsider.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Illinois - what do you think? :lol:

I've given up the dream of ever owning my own ground or being able to retire for that matter.

6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I would need to spend at least a million bucks to get anything decent. There’s no way I’m going to tie up that kind of cash so I can hunt or hobby farm. I’m happy leasing and doing a trip here and there. If it gets to crazy I’ll go back to public if I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian and ash d like this.
  7. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I consider myself lucky to have ground passed down through family and other options to hunt but I do feel for those that don't have that option and want to get their own. 10 years ago, you could pick up hunting ground, not conducive to farming for a few grand an acre. Probably still could if not for these guys running the prices up.

8. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember back when you could buy hunting ground / timber for $500 to $1000 an acre

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Three years ago I inherited a third of the family farm. Since then on a weekly basis we get letters from land company's trying to buy the wooded sections. Their offers are usually low ball cash offers for two or three k an acre. Makes me laugh. The timber on it alone is worth more than that.

This subject interest me because as my siblings age they talk more about selling.

What should be a fair price for good hunting ground?

We have killed several 150 + bucks over the years.

Property is 130 acres of wooded hills hollers an streams with 80 acres of ag.

10. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not an expert at pricing land but around here ag land runs about $10-20k/acre depending on yields, tile, Amish, etc. Wooded lots range from $3-5k. I note the Amish in there as they like to go together with other Amish and will bid extraordinary amounts on ground, then split it into 4 or 5 lots to build a compound of houses. Most counties around here banned sub-dividing for that reason.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  11. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just staight up asked a farmer a couple weeks ago if he'd sell a bit of his land to me. He said "No, but I don't mind you asking, you never know when I'll need $$XX"

Now the farmer knows I want to buy it. and we're friendly. if he ever decides to sell that little bit I can almost guarantee he'll call me first.
    Talk to the local guys before land is listed for sale, throw a couple bales or drive a grain truck. It all goes a long ways when they need a bit of money

12. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My career keeps me pretty close with all the local farmers, I can secure quite a bit of hunting land just by knowing a them, actually just picked up 200 acres the other day just by having small talk while at a farm. I feel like the land that is targeted by these agritourism companies is that of elderly individuals or someone that inherited land and is not sure what to do with it. Farmers around here wont let those companies take any good ag land.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If there is a piece of property that you have to have put an escalator clause in your bid, where if there is another bid that comes in your bid automatically goes up by a thousand $ up to your max bid, it is mental warfare.

14. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    its 100% targeting inherited land. My grandpa would roll over in his grave if after he goes part of the family looked for a quick buck to sell the portion of the farm

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    it's happening here but more so with solar farms.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I like to chalk all this up to the woe is me mentality, and that does play a part in this I do think there are new marketing forces that are artificially driving demand by creating scarcity.

One thing I get a kick out of hearing is how land was XYZ an acre back in the day….projecting todays earning abilities on yesterdays prices. To that I ask …okay well why didn’t you buy it all up back then. The answer simple it was always expensive relative to the time.

17. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree with you but I'm not looking to buy it, I have my own thankfully, but I feel those companies are ruining it for others and it irritates me for them. Now some of these land management companies think they can ask $6,000 for a 33 acre lease. I can still find hunting ground locally for similar pricing as was back in 2014 although becoming fewer and fewer, these marketing companies are all starting to target it all.

Basically, if it weren't for these companies artificially buffing the prices on these properties, the market wouldn't be as crazy, I believe.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right next to one of our F&W area's they are putting in over 13,000 acres of friggin' solar panels... wiping out serious farm land and wildlife habitats ... right next to Jasper/Pulaski !! ... these are fields where thousands of Sandhill Cranes/Geese/ducks/deer would feed in. ... these damn 'greenies' really dont give a rats ass about nature/conservation/wildlife/humans ... btw, the Wheatfield power plant is only a few miles away, these dupes think this solar farm will replace it ....

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/largest-solar-farm-in-the-country-moves-forward-in-northern-indiana/article_2ed2dd05-dfd4-5aa2-8532-dd8d8caeaf46.html#:~:text=Close-,Once complete, the Mammoth Solar Project will span 13,000,in Starke and Pulaski counties.&text=DeVore, The Times-,The Mammoth Solar Farm project is on track to be,of clean energy once complete.

INbowhunter likes this.
  19. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They tried that here as well, promised the farmers that the solar farm would pay them more every year than crops would. Even convinced a few to sign on, luckily our community came together and force stopped it. That solar company literally promised us a yearly festival and parade if we would allow it to pass LMAO. After it was struck down, they basically condemned our city and disappeared.

20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    when I look at that crap, I feel like Chief Dan George in that old commercial with a tear in his eye looking at pollution ...... funny thing, years back I was part of a group that bow hunted within the Power Plant to reduce the deer pop. ... there were some BIIIIG bucks in there, I killed 2 big does .....

INbowhunter likes this.